web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
:rofl: :rofl:

You guys are killin me, I realize messing with a newbie is fun and all but its time to get a little serious. Surdel works for a CG company and it seems that they are doing more and more wiring work.

My advice for the moment is DONT turn blind corners (cables rub), DONT let the cabling lay on the grid (ballasts and lighting) and DONT make your company and our trade look like a bunch of morons. Do the job correctly and your experience will keep you employed for many years to come.

Hal is correct it sound like a standard drop. I have done many of them. Make cut-in's like mentioned before. Hang your wiring if there are grid wires attach some hooks to them and use the space. If it takes longer then bid more time.

Last but not least you spoke before about getting certified by crisco and some others. While you are at it get cable vendor certified or at least trained. So that you don’t break any codes or regulations regarding low voltage wiring.

Don’t take my advice as if I am hammering on you please. That was not the intent. I would like to see others regard our trade as PROFFESIONAL and not some bunch of "monkeys" working in an office space

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ok, seriously now. This kind of work is done every day. A CG is not "our trade" otherwise he would know how to do this and wouldn't be dreaming about remote controlled cars and such. The fact that he or his company took on this contract with little knowledge of how to do the work, the codes involved and insufficient manpower speaks for itself.

This is what we have become accustomed to from CGs and it's one reason we complain about them all the time. Best advice I can give is to stick to what you do best and leave the rest to the professionals who know how to handle it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
So far, unless I am mistaken, I have not seen the words "fiberglass snake, made by Greenlee" in any of the postings.

And I admire Hal for his forthright attitude, in trying to explain to the whiners, trunkers and other interlopers, that this is a business, and we are not amused when others, with no idea of what we do and how we do it, try to muscle in.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

In Surdel's defense I have never seen a suspended drywall ceiling, and I thought I'd seen it all.
As far as the cat goes, I had a customers cat get up in a standard drop tile ceiling, never could get it down, just told the customer and left. But I don't see the cat working very well, now a ferrite on the other hand should work out OK

"...now a ferrite on the other hand..."

Only if you are using magnetic wire. Haha.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
So far, unless I am mistaken, I have not seen the words "fiberglass snake, made by Greenlee" in any of the postings.

And I admire Hal for his forthright attitude, in trying to explain to the whiners, trunkers and other interlopers, that this is a business, and we are not amused when others, with no idea of what we do and how we do it, try to muscle in.
Love my fiberglass snake!

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
In Surdel's defense I have never seen a suspended drywall ceiling...

You guarantee HAVE seen them, you just haven't had to run wire within one so you never realized what it was.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
i was brought in as a helper on a cabling job at a car dealer. it was a fancy one of those new standard corporate look big brand car dealers. anyways the building was 35 years old and was a butler modular building that got a face lift, the old saying you can polish a turd all you want, its still a turd. well the showroom had new floors and all but the ceiling (sheetrock)looked great, we cut a couple of access traps in the sheetrock only to discover they left the old t-bar grid in place. they then removed 1 out of every 4 tiles, replaced them with 2x4 sheets of plywood. that gave them somthing to screw the sheetrock into. Now remember all that was holding the sheetrock ceiling up was the old T bar ceiling, they even left old lights and tiles up there, we cabled it to the best of our abilities, all the while scared this monstrosity would come crashing down. 6 months later on a weekend (dealers are closed here on weekends) part of the ceiling landed on the floor

Jay, a recovering IT guy
I bought a Greenlee Cable Caster for on of my guys, he seems to like it... I'm sure he has tried it for real fishing too. I paid around $40 for it.

web page

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a greenlee wire snake. So far have rarely used it in these installs in the resteraunts. I am a bit amazed at how cheaply some of the electrical work has been done. Even came across a major thick power cable cable tied to a steel stud.

BC for the last few years has had some of the biggest construction projects in its history with billions pooring into the economy for these projects. Would not suprise me with contractors doing quick and cheap work because for one thing BC has never invested in new tradmen to replace the mass exodus of workers that are about to retire and suddenly in the last 2-3 years we are going to be short of workers. On top of this the olympics are agravating the problem.

BTW why is there not a discussion group on company politics, trends, work condions ect? I have yet to get 40 hours of work per week from this company because of the odd issues that come up such as limited access to the office or warehouse for parts. I am paid by per install. This is not a regular 9-5 job. I am almost contemplating working for another company that is more organized.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,445 Shoretel
188,300 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 138 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024