Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Office Building Back Board

This is an office building we have been working on.
We are installing a rack for all the voice and data cabling (per specs of the IT guy all must be on a patch panel).

How would you set up this backboard differently? Top left is where the alarm cabling comes in. voice, data and coax are in the top-middle.

Bottom left is the feed from the building entrance terminal. The bottom right is the bottom floor's voice, data and coax cabling.

I figure I may as well ask for some advice before the cables are terminated (We have 10' of slack above and below as well as about 20' coiled up at the backboard right now)

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I don't at all like those conduit sleeves on the right that are just on the board for the stuff coming from below. I also would like to see connectors and bushings on the ends of that EMT coming down from the ceiling. Matter of fact (and others may not agree with me) if those are just short pieces that are there just to sleeve the cable through the ceiling tile I would get rid of them too. All that EMT and Unistrut makes it look like a sparkie did it. Use "D" rings for everything and be done with it. Oh, and lose the sheetrock screws!

After that there is really not too much to comment on. Right now it is what it is and the rest is up to you as to what you make it look like.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
What's with the bottom conduit? It looks like a piece of PVC plumbing pipe...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I'd ditch those short pieces of EMT for the cables coming up from the bottom. That's a waste and pretty silly-looking. If the upper EMT's are just sleeves into the ceiling, I'd ditch them too. All of this EMT is complicating your installation. I'm not particularly crazy about that four feet of Unistrut X 2 either. I'd have just used Minerallac clamps (conduit hangers) for each pipe and kept them to the left side.

Gotta love those Sparkie 1/2" EMT clamps for the tie cable. Man, they think that anything can be secured professionally using an EMT clamp. I'd rip that crap out and start all over again. I would run that cable up the left side of two 66M1-50 blocks mounted vertically, one binder per block.

I'm sorry about the patch panel requirement, but since Junior is going to tell you how it's done, I'd lace all of the cables neatly up the left side of the backboard, then dip over to the rack (gag) at the appropriate height.

Obviously, the alarm wiring won't be on patch panels, so I would route that wiring as far to the right as possible.

Now comes the most interesting situation: What does he expect you to use for termination of the tie cable? One pair per jack? Two per jack? "RJ45" per jack? What if the circuit is two pairs and the patch panel for the tie is wired for one pair? Trip to Radio Shack?

Dude, you need to put your foot down and tell them that they don't know what they are asking for. Not everyone buys Cisco, despite the efforts of these guys.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Everything on the bottom was installed by the concrete / flooring contractor. It is PVC Pipe, we wanted it changed out, however it's set into the concrete.

Also it looks like that 50 pair cable is punched down to a 110 block...how will the CG know what to do? smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
It does look very busy! Your riser sleeves and the 110 block are occupying some prime real estate.
Will you have enough clearance for a ladder rack?

I'd ditch that EMT on the right as well. It looks very odd to see cables running "loose" out of the PVC from the floor and then going into metallic conduit for a short run on the board.

Admin
Admin
Clean off all the EMT, run the voice/data cables all to the right and place a rack in the corner that will leave a little backboard exposed for the alarm and coax. Or convince to to install a little more backboard and use punch blocks.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
I have to agree with all the above and get rid of the conduits coming up that high. You can pull the cables back down long enough to cut the PVC with a sawsall. Then ring everything back up like Hal said. I see two ways to make this look good. D ring the cables up to the 7' you need to install them in a rack and place a short piece of cable rack between the wall and to rack. I will usually run to the end of the equipment rack to make it look good. This way you can lace them out nice and neat into the rack. Or I have ran rack up the wall and laced them out up and over to the rack.

Either way run these (the cables coming up and down) all on the same side and lace them out to the rack or the backboard.

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,325 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 100 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024