web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
igadget: Collision domains aren't an issue in a switched environment. Each connection between switch port and NIC, or switch port to switch port, is a collision domain. Collisions are only an issue now if someone throws and old hub in the mix somewhere.

As far as latency is concerned though, that's very true. For a business, this could be a serious bottleneck if the switches are low-end. For most home networks, you could do a lot worse and it would never be an issue.

Getting back on topic, I would agree with all comments about finding a new installer. The installer should be able to explain to the client how they are doing the job, and why that's right for this situation. It should never be left up to the client to guess what they need. This sounds too much like an electrician looking for the old "The specs should have said what type of cable to use and how to terminate it" excuse when things don't work properly in the end.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Heck
You guys are making an issue out of this.
In south Africa we want it to work first time,with as little hassles as possible and as cheaply as possible.
Stop confusing customers with technical talk and just do it.

KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.
As an aside:

There are devices that allow data to be transmitted over existing RJ-59 and RJ-6 in houses that are only wired for coax and a few cat-nuthin's.

I have used them successfully.

Google "ethernet over coax" .

I use Coaxsys products.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

For that matter, there are products that allow you to send network signals over the power outlets in your house (haven't tried them myself though, so don't ask me how well they work...)

Almost any house in my area is loop-de-loop...thank the sparkies for that.

As for your original question...fire those schmucks and get a contractor who won't confuse you.

Arthur, don't you mean RG59 and RG6? laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Clinton, thanks for the correction, I was still thinking hubs...dont ask me why.

Originally posted by JordonJ:
For that matter, there are products that allow you to send network signals over the power outlets in your house (haven't tried them myself though, so don't ask me how well they work...)
I've not installed any either, but they put a signal on the 60hz carrier of the existing line and pull it off, through induction. They get about 2mb/s best case. there is also a way of running voice via that method. I'd do the voice line before the data that is for sure. Ive never heard of anyone trying them in an environment with either more than 2 connections(one at each end), or on one with something like X10 running in the house. I suspect they would have the same issue as X10 which needs a set of transformers in the breaker box to propagate the signal across both sides of the service.

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,739
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,291 Shoretel
188,176 CTX100 install
187,019 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, nonameyet), 93 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024