web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#449948 11/03/08 09:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hi there,

I'm new to this board but i'm excited that there looks like good support here! I don't normally take on Phone system work and like to stick to Data most of the time. However the new Hotel going up in my area would like me now to do all the BIX panels and prep them for the Phone company for when they put in the PBX. I'm sure I can figure this out on my own, but I thought I would simply ask some experts before I tackle this wiring job, so if anyone know of some good tutorials or guides or perhaps previous postings that could provide some guidence. I'd really appreciate that folks. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#449949 11/03/08 12:02 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Please fill out your profile completely. Canada is not good enough. We like to know who we're helping out.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#449950 11/03/08 04:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
First time here, just looking for some wisdom, any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks.

#449951 11/04/08 12:51 AM
I would strongly suggest you running the cables and terminating with Cat 3 jacks and leave the other end for the telephone tech.

It's not going to take him long to terminate the cables as he will do it in no time at all compared to you, therefore not costing the hotel owner any more $$$.

Having said that, if you insist on doing the terminations:

Use the proper mounts & blocks
Use proper terminating techniques
Use the proper NORTEL BIX punch down tool
Label every block properly.

Do a search for BIX on this board & you'll get a ton of threads that come up.

To sum up, let a pro do it, get a telephone tech in there to supervise or teach or do your homework. If the next guy has to rip it out & start over (I've seen it done), it'll be at the owner's expense.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
#449952 11/04/08 03:45 AM
ill add my 2 cents
make sure your bix blocks are genuine northern telecom or nordx. there are chinese ones floating about and as moore says learn first dont learn on the job

Jay, a recovering IT guy
#449953 11/04/08 09:17 AM
Good point Jay....

I will give you one tip in case you think you want to try this....

The cables must be attached to the block with a couple of small tyraps & punched down in a manner that permits the block to be flipped or rolled later to add/remove cables if need be later. If you can't easily do this BEFORE X-connects are added, you'll never be able to do it later.

#449954 11/05/08 01:18 AM
and one final word, buy yourself a bix probe, best 20$ you will ever spend.

Jay, a recovering IT guy
#449955 11/05/08 05:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks guys, i'm writting down all of your suggestions for when I have to wire this up. As well I've found other articles and specs on the Belden/IDC procedures for wiring BIX, this shouldn't be too bad as I already have most of the tools others have made mention. The telco side of this project consists of wiring the BIX(which we have been discussing) and then terminating 3 wallplates in each room(103 rooms total) where i'm going with this is that the owners have asked what it will cost for this work to be done, i'm not sure as I have not wired and terminated a telco job like this. I have a tech that it should take him the better part of a week to terminate all the rooms and then I will deal with the BIX part. If anyone can help me with an estimate on this it would help me out alot and help for future projects such as this. I am not putting in the PBX(Mitel system) and the electricians have already wired the Hotel with CAT6 in case you are wondering. Sorry for all the questions, just wondering what I may want to charge for this project.

Thanks again.

#449956 11/10/08 05:03 PM
So what, this isn't the right way to terminate Bix??

[img]https://conxtel.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=nova_2][/URL][/img]

Electrician did not want the "added cost" to purchase all the required hardware so terminated only one pair. 200 cables terminated where only 60 should be.

Bix can be done very nicely or very, very badly!

#449957 11/10/08 05:10 PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024