web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
so I'm doing some wiring -breakout cables at the desk

so far, I'm taking some Ca5E, breaking them into 4 rj11, putting shrink wrap on the individual pair and then shrink wrap ontop of the 4 split pairs to the outer Cat5E jacket. Basically making pretty breakout cables.

It's a small setup - 8 POTS into a IPO. So I'm just running dual Cat5E from the telco demarc punched down direct into the IPO via my *pretty breakout cables*.

On a separate line, it will be running DSL and also the fax. How would you do this.

Basically this is what I did. Took 3 cables. Ran Skotchlock on the blue pair. I then wrapped the remaining exposed pair of the blue/white pairs with the remaining extra pairs to stiffen it up. Again I used 2 different size shrink wrap over the exposed pairs down to the 3Cat5E cables bundled together. The gist of it is that on the short pair, I'll use this to punch down on the demarc. Then one pair goes back to the voice patch panel for the fax port. The 3rd lead gets plugged into the DSL modem.

The other method, which we did not do, would have been to bring it from the demarc to a 66 block and then break it out from there.

In this application, we are just going straight from demarc direct into the IPO (IP Office).

[Linked Image from pingable.net.php5-5.websitetestlink.com]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Fax and DSL are on the same line? I may just not be thinking clearly being friday afternoon but do you not need a filter on that line for the fax to operate correctly?

On a separate line, it will be running DSL and also the fax. How would you do this?

Back at the NI I would install a DSL splitter then separate runs to the fax jack and DSL jack. I certainly wouldn't do the "Mr. Electronic Technician" thing like that because nobody would be able to service it. And why does that line go back to the IPO location? Hate to think you are using a patch panel.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
The white cable is from demarc direct into the IPO.

The grey one is the dsl/fax. It does not go back into the IPO at all. On the patch panel, there is a port for the fax. I just plan to drop the filter on the fax side port. It's a big honking copier/fax/printer unit.

And yes, the voice patch panel is to do the cross connect from IPO back to the voice port locations. It's not IP handsets but digital phones

Hal - had to reread you post. Gotcha on demarcc to wall splitter. And then from there...I would just cross connect back to the fax port and the other line direct to the dsl modem. Sometimes I guess it takes a different ~angle of view~ to conceptualize it.

You only need 1 filter and you would use this at the block. Or there is nothing wrong with using a filter on every device minus the DSL modem as long as you don't exceed the REN. I may be missing something here, probably am, but what is the point of such a configuration?

OP Offline
It was a short run - thus the split cable. The fax port is on the patch panel, which is close to the NID. The DSL modem was close to the NID as well, so I figured it would be cleaner with one cable coming right the demarc and then the short breakout from there via the other 2 cables, each going into their respective ports.

Was just browsing old threads....and looks like I've got quote to learn about what is proper configs on telco wiring schemas. I come more from the fiber/data side of things

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
You should only have 1 filter if at all possible. The more filters that you have, the slower your speed.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,740
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,292 Shoretel
188,179 CTX100 install
187,022 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (dans, newtecky), 77 guests, and 108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024