Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ictelco Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer that wants to connect two switches in a two story building with a fiber segment. I have some leftover 6 strand inside fiber from a job 10 years ago. Is this still usable or not recommended?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Yes, it is usable. As long as the ends are properly cleaved, you will be fine. That stuff lasts forever unless it has been exposed to physical damage.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
ictelco Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Ed,
I guess I was concerned that if it sat for years on a spool that potentially it might "develop a memory" and tend to want to "curl" in the interduct.

We work on fiber at an Air force Bombing Range that is from the late 60's. Works great. We recently replaced ends on about 4 runs, each one about 3/4 of a mile. Still working great.

No physical damage just maintenance.

So yes it should last a long time.

Cosmo

Rick "Cosmo" Mercure
Tri Star Telecom
Sebring, FL http://www.tristartelecom.net
KLD Offline
ictelco.....as long as you didn't let the light out it should still be okay....... laugh

If it was stored properly it should be okay. The twisting comes from not allowing the complete cable to rotate...remember swivels.

Thanks for letting me pull your leg!

:rofl:

Ken
---------
ictelco Offline OP
OP Offline
Ken....if I duct tape a flashlight at each end of the spool and leave them on till the batteries run out, do you suppose it will recharge the cable?
Nice to be in a group with a sense of humor.
Thanks for the reply. Remember never look at the end of a piece of fiber with the naked eye, there might be a flashlight attached to the other end.

1960's era fiber...that's impressive. I'm curious as to why the ends were changed though? Did the customer require different connectors or was there another reason?

KLD Offline
Back then there was a lot of "dark" fiber, the size varied from 50 to 90 microns. The LED and laser technology just wasn't there yet....remember SM fiber is from 8 to 11 microns. Quite a range when you think at it.

Back then it was not unusual for the fiber connectors to use matching gel. It would deteriorate leaving bad levels. And ST connectors were some new fangled contraptions. SC or the other (can't remember the initials) ST that was not spring loaded. Loose connections, vibrating connections, cracked fiber due to over contact pressure....see, you guys just don't know how lucky you are.

Ken
---------
Ken, are you thinking of "bicons", A.K.A: Biconic connectors?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
KLD Offline
Yep, Ed, you do know that is it...the cone and insert made a good connection IF the glass was installed and polished correctly BUT vibration caused problems, even when installed properly. Once you screwed them together like putting the cap on your bottle it was a tight connection. They were used on aircraft. I can tell you some unusual stories about them.

Senior moment! Shame to lose a mind..... laugh

Ken
---------
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,321 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024