web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I agree with what Hal said regarding cable TV. In most cases they will cut off whatever fittings/junk splitters are at the house. That being said, I've also seen some pretty bad work done by the cable companies. In my own work I use PPC or Snap N Seal compression fittings always, and quality splitters. I've never had a problem.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Just FYI but for Residential the minimum recommended cable type is Cat5e for both voice and data... Tito can you bring up that recommendation? I have looked all over the Texas codes and can't find it So that may be an Arkansas thing. Or maybe a local code for your area.

It's not in any code. It's only a recommendation from BICSI which doesn't have any legal weight.

I wouldn't put too much effort into hard wiring a residence for data with the way wireless is progressing anyway.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
In my own work I use PPC or Snap N Seal compression fittings

Hopefully you use the correct tool to compress them with. There are a lot of tools out there, most that I have seen used by those not in the cable industry are garbage. These are the same people who don't know how to (or have the proper tools) to prepare the cable for the connector. THAT'S why you can't trust a DIY connector.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Yes, I have a compression tool that is adjustable for different brands of fittings. The stripper I have does the 1/4-1/4 strip for the fittings.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Briggs Offline OP
OP Offline
I am with Jeff. I allready got the Tohmas and betts fittings. and I have been using a black t and c tool. They make a really nice connector. I do know what you mean by they will cut them off. I know because they did it to me years ago. However, at that time I was using some garbage gold compression fittings. and a 900mhx splitter.

I know I am going to get drilled on this but in ignorance I bought a huge 16 way splitter. I bought is because I liked the layout of the connections. I intend to mount it on a 2U blank panel. Of course I would only use at most a third of the connections, and simply use the "caps" to terminiate the rest. I realize it gives me a 15db loss, and I am hoping that TW can just "turn it up" for me??? Otherwise I might go to an eight way splitter, but would rather not as I don't like the layouts I have found.

As for all the cat6 stuff I found this guy online who sells a cat6 rated jack super cheap. They are called tough jacks. They are cat6 but not really the most durable. They are probably only good for punching down a few times after that I think the "blade" from the tool would have put some rather large dents in the plastic. and I also got a cat 6 panel for about 50 I think. all in all I think I got some good deals. I don't notice any differance from that panel to the triplites we use at work.

Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
Yes, I have a compression tool that is adjustable for different brands of fittings. The stripper I have does the 1/4-1/4 strip for the fittings.
Same here.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
I have a compression tool that is adjustable for different brands of fittings.

And that is one of the tools I'm talking about. The correct tool will have a positive stop or throw that is factory calibrated for the fitting you are using. Different tool for different fitting, or at least a few different fittings. It CANNOT be user adjustable beyond the gauge that comes with it to maintain factory calibration.

"Universal" compression tools that know when to stop by how hard they are pushing on the fitting are junk. They will undercompress or over compress and there is no way to tell.

-Hal

Time Warner will probably provide you with an amplifier and an 8-way splitter upon request. Beyond 8 TVs they would probably give you two 8-way splitters. I am a firm believer in pulling lots of extra CAT5E everywhere for data, cameras, PoE devices or whatever. If you are considering whole house audio, you could select a central area for your receiver and speaker selector, and pull 16 gauge 2 conductor to possible speaker locations. Just a thought. Also, if you are remodeling and have access to the walls, you might consider pulling your home theater cables between your output device (TV) and components. (HDMI, component video, audio, CAT5E (data and future devices) etc.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
You will find this information in TIA/EIA 570-A and the TDMM. I never mentioned any "code" so i'm not sure where that came from. The "recommended" cable type for residential is Cat5e. That is a standard and not a code. We in "Arkansas" do not use Cat3 anymore. The minimum cable rating we use is Cat5e. That is for voice and data. I love a good debate and most of the guys on here preach about holding everyone to a higher standard so i'd like to hear the arguments for Cat3 over Cat5e.

I love a good debate and most of the guys on here preach about holding everyone to a higher standard so i'd like to hear the arguments for Cat3 over Cat5e.

Wanna see my arthritic crippled hand that was partially caused by untwisting that !%$#? Some idiot runs it and I'm the one to have to punch it down on 66 blocks.

Nuff' said.

-Hal

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,178 Shoretel
188,992 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024