web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#452529 06/27/09 04:37 PM
OP Offline
I don't make patch cords, I have better things to do with my time. I always insist on female data jacks, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.
I got a call from one of my suppliers, they had intalled C5 to demo, a home style sound system. All the C5 had to have male RJ-45 ends crimped on the ends of the cables. I used solid wire ends. I would test the cables, one wire would be open, replace ends other wire open.
What is the life of a crimp tool? What brand of ends do you all use, AMP or some other brand name, or overseas cheap ones. Thanks for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#452530 06/27/09 04:56 PM
Do yourself a favor. Search RJ45 and take some time to read you'll find a lot of stuff. Registered Jack refers to wiring scheme, not the number of pins or positions the jack has.

For 8p8c mod plugs I have used the same tool for years with no problems you just have to get the right plug end for the type wire your putting it on. The last plugs I bought were from ICC. You'd have to put a lot of mod plugs on to wear one out. I'd say you're either not fully inserting the wires into the plug or your plug ends are bad.

Retired phone dude
#452531 06/27/09 06:06 PM
I use a decent plug crimper with plugs made for the cable type (solid for solid, stranded for stranded).

Dressing and cutting the pairs very neatly with a good pair of scissors will help with avoiding opens. I find that applying light pressure to the pairs when cutting lessens the wire's 'rebound' (when I let go, the wire ends stay where I cut them). Also, I keep my plugs in a tiny ziploc bag so that no foreign particles can get inside and interfere with a good connection.

Just curious on that home audio system: why couldn't you use an 8p8c keystone with a patch cord instead of a plug?

As for tool life, no idea: I don't crimp enough plugs with it to wear it out.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
#452532 06/27/09 06:54 PM
Years ago the AMP tool would only work correctly on AMP plugs,don't know about now.The tool would break other mfg plugs.

#452533 06/27/09 07:06 PM
I run a college cabling course, and I do have the students crimp 8P8C mod ends on both solid and stranded cable with the appropriate type of mod ends. I'm pretty sure I've seen every which way that someone can mess up a crimp. When the students have opens on the solid wire, I can crimp again with a bit more force and that typically solves the problem. My students use the Ideal CrimpMaster tools, and you need to apply quite a bit of force. What I actually tell them is to squeeze the the crimpers until they hear a popping sound...from their hand not the tool. It's a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

Sometimes with solid wire you can do absolutely everything right, and you still get an open. If you have cheap plugs, this is even more likely. What basically happens is the blades on the plug go a little bit wide, and instead of contacting the copper they leave a little skin of insulation between the blade and the conductor. Sometimes this shows up as an intermittent problem, or high attenuation on one pair. You really have no control over this, although buying better quality plugs will help.

My advice is to avoid crimping mod plugs on solid cable unless absolutely necessary. Making custom cables for phone system installation is acceptable. Solid conductor patch cables, even with the best mod plugs, is never acceptable. In my experience, problems with mod plugs on solid Cat3 are much less likely than with Cat5e.

#452534 06/28/09 02:13 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#452535 06/28/09 03:38 AM
That's the one I use too Skip and if you notice there are dies for different manufacturer's plugs. I suspect then that other "less quality" pressers will work with only a limited number of manufacturer's plugs if not only one.

I also recommend not using scissors to do the final trim, use your cutters. Seems the blunt cut made by the scissors makes it difficult to insert the wires into the plug. The > cut from the cutters allows them to slide right in.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#452536 06/28/09 03:44 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice. Have a great day off??

#452537 06/28/09 05:26 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by hbiss:

I also recommend not using scissors to do the final trim, use your cutters. Seems the blunt cut made by the scissors makes it difficult to insert the wires into the plug. The > cut from the cutters allows them to slide right in.

-Hal
I will back that up... with scissors you get a slight bend at the end of the cuts because they actually twist the ends, which angles them a little off. With the dykes you get a straight cut that does not bend or twist the ends, making the insertion much easier and the contact cleaner.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#452538 06/28/09 05:29 AM
that's one of those things I hadn't thought about but it makes perfect sense

:thumb:

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 54 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024