Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thanks to all that have replied.

I am looking at getting one from test equipment depot. https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/...one.htm?gclid=CMnjydaW6JsCFSENDQodkFgX5A

I haven't order from these people before. Anyone know of them or have any comments on what they think of them.

To igadget, voip isn't a protocol. Tcp-ip is a protocol. Voip is a enhancement to telephoney on a digital network, using the customer network equipment. Just like rj45 plugs/jack are standard hardware arrangement to hook up network gear together.

What I was referring to was when one tries to tone on an active network jack, the signal can be reduced or lost because of the cable connected to a network gear. With the avent of poe switchs/injector, it is possible to try to trace out wiring that has voltage on. This could damage the toner or poe switch/injector. It is also possible to have bleed over to other network wiring/legs that could interfer with normal network traffic.

I was looking for a device that would allow me to trace wiring on a network with no fear of causing problems with the network.

Splittign the pairs on a network connection, can cause voltage from a poe switch to come together and cause damage.

Thanks again to all that have answered.

Mike

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by OLD TECH:
Thanks to all that have replied.

To igadget, voip isn't a protocol. Tcp-ip is a protocol. Voip is a enhancement to telephoney on a digital network, using the customer network equipment. Just like rj45 plugs/jack are standard hardware arrangement to hook up network gear together.

Mike
Mike,

Claiming that Voice over Internet Protocol(VoIP) isn't a protocol is silly. TCP/IP is also an acronym for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. so either it is or it isn't cant be both.

Either way it isn't defined or controlled by a hardware connection standard that you would have to worry about when attaching a toner to an active network cable.

Power over Ethernet is such a worry, but I never claimed it was not.

The "standard RJ45" has nothing to do with data networking. Data Networking uses 8p8C plugs and jacks wired to TIA 568A or TIA 568B color codes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B#T568A_and_T568B_termination

Please read the paragraph where it says "often incorrectly referred to as RJ45"

Rowan

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,268 Shoretel
188,995 CTX100 install
187,385 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 139 guests, and 398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024