web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
One of my clients are building a new building, and the architects want to know whether to plan on a single CAT6 cable to each workstation or to run separate lines. The clients are buying a new VoIP system with built-in VLAN-aware switches, so we will be able to patch to the computer from the phone. The client is a non-profit provider of medical care for low-income patients, and they are hoping to save money wherever possible.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Anyone have any ideas on whether I should press to have a second line run to each workstation?

2. Should I be happy with Cat6? It looks like it would cost twice as much to install Cat6a, and the benefits aren't immediately apparent to me.

Thank you for any input you can provide!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well, most people don't even realize the full potential of cat 5E much less 6. Depending on how much they want to save money because they are non-profit and size you have to weigh the costs vs benefits. Quite honestly, if they are relatively small, a VOIP system is going to cost more than the headaches it's going to give vs a traditional small key/hybrid system. Thinking you can use that one cable for everything and not factoring in growth, for like adding a printer OR modem OR fax etc. It is rather nice to have a voice and data cable everywhere. Also, consider the benefits of having 2 separate systems in place vs up time on the phone and data. In large multi site installs VOIP is the way to go...in smaller situations, where money is tight AND you absolutely need 5 9's of reliability...that's another ballgame and to get that on a VOIP system is going to blow your budget..big time.

The client is a non-profit provider of medical care for low-income patients, and they are hoping to save money wherever possible.

If that's the case tell us why they are wasting big money on a VoIP phone system and CAT6 cabling? Somebody is giving them very bad advice!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Admin
Online Happy
Admin
I vote for 2 Cat5e cables to each workstation. No need for Cat6, completely unnecessary. 2 cables gives flexibility that's always needed down the road (and doesn't lock them into one type of PBX).

The VOIP system is another matter - they often cause cost overruns, true, but only when installed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It all depends on the product and the company installing it. In most cases a properly engineered VOIP system can save money and give the same 5 nines reliability of TDM.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
2 Cat 5E at each location. VOIP why. The end-user should give there answer to this. The cost savings will be limited and the problems mat not be worth it. What VOIP system are they looking at?

"Should I be happy with Cat6? It looks like it would cost twice as much to install Cat6a, and the benefits aren't immediately apparent to me."

Cat6 is much cheaper than cat6a. Cat5e works more than adequately with VoIP.

If the client has enough money to have a new building erected, he has enough to put in two cable drops per workstation. I would push for two cables/workstation.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
I agree with 2 CAT5E which installed properly will do gigabit ethernet. CAT 6 is supposed to do 10GIG on runs less than 155 feet. CAT6A will do 10GIG to runs of 328 feet. The material costs for CAT6/CAT6A and extra installation and testing time required will outweigh the benefits. Is your non-profit going to spend thousands on 10GIG switches and 10GIG cards for the PCs? Probably not. Then why CAT6?

The VOIP system is another matter - they often cause cost overruns, true, but only when installed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It all depends on the product and the company installing it. In most cases a properly engineered VOIP system can save money and give the same 5 nines reliability of TDM.

Misleading statements like this are what causes the thinking that a VoIP system is going to save money. There is absolutely no reason to have an IP system unless there are multiple sites with a dedicated WAN between them. Even then there is no cost savings and actually an increased cost to using IP phones for a number of reasons.

Now that we have the facts straight let's not turn this topic into a TDM vs VoIP debate!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Admin
Online Happy
Admin
Hal, are you saying your opinion cannot be debated here? Sounds a little fascist...

:-)

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Right. Start a new thread or resurrect an old one because it's been debated to death already. I don't know what more can be said. Viewpoints depend on which side of the keyboard you are on, that's about it. :sleep:

-Hal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 106 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024