web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Customer is getting code violations on DSL and thus causing modem to drop. Found bad splice and repaired.. Still had no affect. Customers modem is bridged.. Tested resistance on current pair and looked great, used 965 dsp, but still having issues. What else can I do

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
DSL is mighty forgiving since it truly only rides along one half of a pair and designed to run over thousands of feet of existing OSP. Are you sure that the problem is due to the cable you are maintaining?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
anything else on that line that might be interfering w/ the modem training? i am thinking fax machines, satellite receivers, phones, etc...anything that might reside on the same line that does not have a DSL filter on it. I usually see this alot w/ customers who have OPE/OPX at their sites.

I'll give away some of my tricks here... smile

Make sure that you don't have any bridge taps on your wire in the run for the pair used by the DSL. If you do, you might try to remove them. I've seen that cause DSL issues (sometimes, not always). I would filter the DSL in the demarc, not send the DSL to any extensions/phones/etc on the other end and rely on remote filters. Filter it once at the demarc (assuming this line also has dialtone).

If the DSL is provided by a telco (not in-house), are you sure the exact modem you are using is approved for this specific customer by the telco (one telco might support multiple modems, none of which would work for *every* customer, as it depends on CO equipment too)? I've seen for instance Cisco routers with DSL WICs fail to be stable on certain models of (ironically) Cisco DSLAMs - swapping the Cisco router out for a different model or getting the telco to move the line to a different DSLAM often cleared up the issues. If they provided the modem, than this isn't probably the issue (although I've still had some problems solved by changing CO DSLAMs).

The first step I do in troubleshooting this is to verify that I have the same issue at the demarc, without being on any building wiring. If it doesn't work there, it's the telco's problem (assuming the customer is using an approved modem and you've tested another modem which also failed).

I also would disconnect any phones and filters from the wiring - go straight from the demarc to the modem (no phones at all). If you have an unbalanced wire plugged into the filter (an open wire somewhere), even if it is "downstream" of the filter, it can cause issues.

Another trick I've dealt with when the modem won't stay connected and I know the wiring is good is to order a new line (without disconnecting the first until the new one is in) - that forces a different pair back to the DSLAM, and any problem in that pair will now be irrelevant. Of course that costs money (less than an hour of a tech's time, though). I usually use a fax line if one is already there (less likely to get "messed" with and will be less missed most of the time if I need to get to the line to troubleshoot). If I disconnect a fax machine for 10 minutes, most organizations handle that better than if I disconnect one of their incoming voice lines for 10 minutes!

If you truly think it is the air core cable, move over to a different pair - see if the problem follows. Sometimes it's easier to fix the problem than find it. smile

OP Offline
Right on dudes!!! Thank you for the great tips and I'll keep ya posted.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,948 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 91 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024