Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#454687 11/08/10 05:31 PM
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
I came across d714 punch down tool on ebay earlier today, it had 630 blade with it, Can't find it now to post a pic of it ( will post it later after I get home), and I was wondering what it was used for?

After doing some digging on google I found the

following:

https://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=35&products_id=10238

and

https://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/modular/503-100-100-7904.pdf

where on pages 20-21 I found an answer.

That raised some more questions, I have a jack at home that looks exactly like the one pictured, I've remembered that I had to remove it a few times before, I didn't really cared too much for it (because I don't have home phone nor dsl, previous owner of the house had dsl, that is why the filter plate was left hanging over the jack), until recently. I was thinking to switching my internet service provider from cable to dsl due to price of service. With that in mind I started wondering if it would of been possible to upgrade the existing old wiring to newer as well as the jack to which the dsl filter attaches to by being hung on the faceplace.

Also, I was wondering if that 630 blade can be used for something else besides that only purpose seems like.

Would it be possible to use other blade such as 110 besides 630?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#454688 11/08/10 10:49 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I came across one of those jacks once on page 21. What a piece of junk!

Replace the jacks with regular screw terminals and save your headaches for something else.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#454689 11/09/10 12:08 AM
Admin
Admin
No, the 630 and corresponding insulation displacement jack is only used for one thing. Suttle used to include a cheap plastic tool with the 630-ABC jack, but the jack was plastic with screw on studs. The first thing that happened was the studs would fall out, some moron would put a different screw in place of the stud, and now the wall mount was screwed when we replaced the wall plate with a stainless unit.

I try not to use a screw terminal anything, except the RJ-48X jacks and those guest rooms, so it's now easier to use the stainless VoIP plate at the bottom of the Allen Tel page here https://www.allentel.com/page28.html
and just use the keystone of your choice.

I still stock SS wall plates and a 630 blade.

Carl

BTW They're only "junk" if you don't know how to terninate them. I can do 50 of those a lot quicker than you can do 50 screw terminals. I always had trouble getting the wires to fit in the channel of a screw terminal wall plate. With ID, you just push the unstripped wire under the slot and insert it with the tool and cut the excess with your scissors. Much faster.

#454690 11/09/10 01:45 AM
The OP is not a telephone tech and therefore spending the $$$ on a tool that he's unlikely to ever use again is stupid. Much less expensive to install new jacks that he can easily handle. The wiring is another story.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#454691 11/09/10 02:31 PM
Carl I agree I still use them as well. I can see Daves point, its not worth it for the OP. But as far as junk I will use them over a screw term any day

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#454692 11/09/10 03:46 PM
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for alot of useful info :thumb:

Originally posted by MooreTel:
The OP is not a telephone tech
Dave, What's OP ? :confused:

Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
the stainless VoIP plate at the bottom of the Allen Tel page here https://www.allentel.com/page28.html
and just use the keystone of your choice.
Carl, are those the actual facepates into which keystone snaps in or they fit over the top of reg one port keystone? According to the description, it sounds like the actual deal, but I just want to make sure. IF I wanted to get one of those, where would be a good place to get it from?

Also, is there jacks that are cat5e but comes in 6p6c? or cat3 is the only option?

Otherwise, I'll have to install reg cat5e 8p8c as I have a ton of them and will have to get an insert to convert it from 8p8c to 6p6c with like the ones here https://www.allentel.com/page25.html and that'll should do it,right?
Now, anyone has any ideas if those jack inserts are quite reliable route to go through, do they snap out of the jack easily (trying to avoid accidents, you'll probably say " go with cat3 6p6c to bulletproof self from those type of accidents, lol), also, are those come in different colors?

#454693 11/10/10 02:09 AM
Admin
Admin
In random order:

Cat 5e is a cable specification, the jack it terminates on either uses an ethernet scheme 568-A/B or USOC scheme. You can't terminate 8 wires in a 6p6c jack, so your wiring scheme is basically RJ-11,14 or 25.

The Allen Tel is a stainless steel faceplate with a standard keystone opening. It is exactly compatible with Leviton and other keystone jacks like Hubbel, Amp, and ICC. It pries out with a flat blade screwdriver on the top of the keystone. You can use any color, but I tend to use either Ivory or Gray with stainless.

The VoIP plate is super for just about any application, because you can use a 6-pin or an 8-pin keystone wired in any way you need. Don't forget, these are specifically for wall phones, there are also single port plastic and stainless steel plates for flush jacks that don't have the studs.

Graybar and (hack, spit) TWA Telecom carries them, probably check a search engine for someone near you. You may also go to allentel.com's home page. Don't go to allentelproducts.com, it's TWA's website. Graybar Cleveland will probably sell to anyone with a pulse, but you might not like the price if you don't have an account with them.

OP is short for Original Poster.

Carl

#454694 11/10/10 06:32 AM
I have occasionally run into the old 630A jacks that were installed by Ohio Bell. I have the bit for my punch tool but have not used it much.
I normally just install the screw terminal jacks for wallphones.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#454695 11/10/10 07:12 AM
We saw them in the mid 1970s. Didn't have much trouble with them if they were used correctly. Some guys would use a screwdriver instead of the 630. This would cause a problem. Old 19 gauge station wire didn't work well with them. There are still a good number of them out there in the residential market

Gary

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,315 CTX100 install
187,088 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 126 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024