web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bridal rings, D rings, anything with a narrow surface is a no-no for data cables. There should be ample room for support so the weight of the other cables don't cause the lower cables to get bent, creased, etc.

The cable tray is the best choice for 50+ cables, but I've seen the two hole pvc straps used. Use plenty and keep them close together.

<Odd reason - they want it all cabled prior to the ceiling going in.>
How will they put in the ceiling if the cable supports are required to be there first? Going to be covered by the sheet rock?

Jim

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'm guessing PVC straps would not be allowed in a Plenum ceiling, for the same reason you can't use PVC cable.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Take a look at what Sandman has?

How about the old-fashioned way...EMT?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Admin
Admin
What did I miss and what stability do you need?
The little "L" bracket that a J-Hook screws into and then into a drywall ceiling works fine if you find the studs. It works in anchors if you use the twisty screw type :-)

It gives you a chance to get out the fancy tools, like the laser line and drop a straight line across the ceiling.

Carl

Originally posted by Yoda:
Bridal rings, D rings, anything with a narrow surface is a no-no for data cables. There should be ample room for support so the weight of the other cables don't cause the lower cables to get bent, creased, etc.

what about this? [Linked Image from garvinindustries.com] A bridal ring insert?

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
OP Offline
This a government funded commercial job that has non profits on the first floor and 40+ low income residences above. 150 workstations on the 1st floor and the plans call for 2data/2voice at each workstation. Five individual equipment rooms.

The ceilings are high, already all dry walled, but the studs are all wood at least.

The general contractor hasn't signed off on anyone to do the LE yet and the building is 80% built. Surely he is out looking for the lowest cutthroat bid over the last two weeks.

We are just about the only ones qualified because we know each account going in there and I helped work out what was needed on the blueprints.

It has been a few days and my bet is the ceiling grid and wire all already in there. Will be a difficult job because of the high ceilings everywhere - too high for a 10' fiberglass ladder.

Sparky used the tallest little giant ladder to get that high, but of course I was told metal ladders are not allowed and we would have to use a lift. I replied that lifts are on their dime. Lots of labor hours.

Not excited about getting the job at this point. Never seen a more uncoordinated bunch when it comes to planning.

Found out they had never even contacted the local telco (Frontier, formerly Verizon) about a feed into the building. That will be 30 days now at least and the fire alarm people are barking about getting lines.

Also, if they would have called Frontier early on they would have pulled fiber to all the residences for free. Now they are stuck with a looped RG6 and Cat5 (yes, looped) going into each residence back to a phone room.

A year ago I suggested an accessible (from the hallway) Leviton distribution box into the residences with homerun services but Sparky got the General Contractor's ear and told him that was a waste of money.

Hard cap ceilings in those walls, that is all they will have, forever.

Just sad to see such poor planning from the get go and to be the LE wiring people coming in at the last minute does not sound appealing.

Formal site for everything, hardhat, steel boots, safety inspector, no smiles; that sort of job site. No you can't work past 5pm, or on the weekend when there is room to work. The neighborhood has me thinking a concealed carry permit wasn't such a bad idea.

This falls under the category of a job to do only if the margin is high enough to compensate for all the extra frustrations. Hence, the delays as the job is shopped out for a gullible, low bidding LE contractor. There are of course many cabling contractors ready to take one projects just to keep techs busy these days.

When we install multiple phone systems in the building - if we don't do the cabling - fixing all the mistakes and BS will be T/M and will probably be a small fortune.

Admin
Admin
LOL My "jobs for less" National contractor pulls this crap. The classic is they have a job extimated at 40 hours, running about 15 data and 7 voice drops, installing the BCM, etc. The opening bid? $1000.00! or, the do it now price of $675 and you get to supply the J-hooks and mounting hardware.

Wow, the last time I worked for $25 an hour was...well come to think of it, 1995 when I screwed up a bid and did it for 5G. I think by the time I was done it averaged about $12 :-)

Carl

OP Offline
Most of us would admit to working for McDonald's wages on cabling jobs. It happens now and then.

When you stop for gas you think "does this guy make more than me?" hahahah

What we do if we are up against low bidders using CCA cable, and most likely non-licensed labor, etc, is trying to explain why crappy wiring will come back to bite them. Talking about the end user here, not a general contractor. All they care about is meeting the contractual specifics for the lowest possible bid.

When losing a bid to someone underbidding we try to get our information in front of the end user and let them know we'd be happy to come in and fix up the mess after the fact.

We subscribe to the 'code' that it really isn't cool to put down another contractor's work or bad mouth them. Approach it as 'we'll this is the way Company-A did it, we like to do it this way, and this is why ..."

A LOT of money is to be made by being the contractor that comes in after that fact. Many times it is more profitable than if we got the job in the first place.

It is easier for us to make money selling systems than cabling jobs nowadays. Back in the early '90s we charged a flat $150/cable + materials. Try that now.

On this last job we quoted we had to prove that all our licenses are up to date, that we pay cable techs $36+ an hour prevailing wage, that we have a Public Works bond.

At least that should weed out Bobby installing cabling via the back of his Camaro.

BillFlippen: Nice!
NoisyCow: So sad there are customers and contractors like that.

Jim

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,316 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
C5Z 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024