web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
It might work fine til they try POE or gig. Some consultant probably wrote a bs spec to save money.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Absolutely, there is no argument about that. If they ever want to use gig or POE then they will lose a large number of ports if they reposition the pairs, that is a given.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
The way twisted pair works, a DC offset really isn't a problem. A DC voltage will create EMF, and that will induce a voltage in nearby conductors. Because the DC is constant, the voltage induced on both conductors of a twisted pair will be virtually identical. If you add one volt DC to both conductors, the difference in voltage between the conductors doesn't change, therefore we have no ill effects from the DC. When POE shares conductors with the Ethernet signal, all you are doing is letting the signal ride on a DC offset. This is stripped off at the powered device, and does not change the signal.

An analog phone has a DC carrier, low frequency ring voltage, and low frequency audio. Of all the things that can share a cable with Ethernet, an analog line is going to be the safest.

Digital phones to the best of my knowledge are operating at well under 1Mhz. They would have a greater chance of causing interference, but still not likely to be a problem under normal circumstances.

Two data connections on one cable is the most likely to cause a problem, since you are putting two signals of the same frequency into such close proximity. It's like a mix between crosstalk and alien-crosstalk. 10Base-T would be less susceptible than 100Base-T. If both computers have a relatively light load you reduce the likelihood of problems.

AMP does have their ACO product which does allow you to split a cable for two 100Base-T connections. They were popular with government offices here in town back in the 90's. I wired some of those government offices so I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone else of splitting data cables. (I was young, didn't know any better, and I can blame the government.) I'm sure that product made sense before Gigabit, but I don't see why anyone would want to intentionally prevent their infrastructure from supporting Gig now.

At the very least, these ACO inserts were engineered for this specific purpose. If a cable must be split, this is how it should be done. Peeling back the sheath and splitting the pairs between two keystone jacks is absolutely going to have a negative impact. It might cause issues with additional noise, return loss or NEXT. You really won't know because you can't properly test the cable.

Cables are built with specific geometries for a reason, and when that geometry is compromised, that is when we have issues with EMI,RFI and crosstalk. If you kink a cable, the pairs are spread apart. This reduces the effect of the twisted pairs and that exact point is where noise will be induced on the pairs. If you have two Ethernet signals in one cable, and that cable is kinked or crushed, the crosstalk between those two signals will be much worse than if they were in separate cables. Physical separation is important.

There are situations where splitting one cable for voice and data is a reasonable solution, even if it isn't the last resort. However, I've never seen a situation where a switch couldn't be used rather than splitting a cable for two Ethernet devices. Either way, this is a decision that should be left up to the trained professional. I'm not trying to tell the pros anything they don't already know. This is aimed at anyone who may simply gloss over the cautions, and decide this is an excellent way to save money on cabling. Being cheap is not an excuse to split a data drop.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Clinton, thanks. I think you summed up this discussion quite well.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
i think you could make a MDF Cat5e blocks in central office,and make VDSL splitter on it,then, make the ADSL splitter in home.
hope this would be helpful for you

Ok, after two pages of discussion, somebody tell me why data cables like CAT5 have 4 pairs? That's 50% of the copper you are paying for that isn't used. Very expensive filler. And before somebody says they maintain the transmission characteristics of the cable I say baloney. This is wire that is open on both ends.

My opinion is that they are there to put money in the manufacturers pockets. It started with CAT3 which had applications for all 4 pair and they just ran with it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
More to the point: 2 PAGES and 2 WEEKS. If you're gonna steal pairs, do it! If you're not, run new cable!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Hal, you need 4 pairs for gigabit ethernet and power over ethernet.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
You need the 4 pairs so you can steal two of them for the phone and the fax machine.

Now, let's get back to REAL telephony and discuss why there are 25 pairs in a station cable for a 1A2 6-button set.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Originally, the 6 button (5-line) phones were installed using 16 pair cable. Then the 10 button (9 line) phones were released requiring 25 pairs. And still needed shared LG & A1.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (KRRath, Curlycord, BPopilek), 68 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024