web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Please, please, hook up a camera. I can just imagine this one on funniest home videos!

Hey, I never said success didn't come without a few risks. wink

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Well...looks like the Minnesota farm boy showed the city-slicker once again how it's done... clap I used a small drain auger and pulled the dirt out little-by-little. Took awhile, but it worked. After I was done, I flushed with a hose from the "high end" to blow out any small rocks that might have been left behind. Thanks again for the assistance!

Here are pics of the layout to demonstrate the situation:

Conduit runs from Bldg. to Bldg. One end was identifiable, other end was buried.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Buried end (Bldg. 1) filled with dirt.

Dirt gone, box installed.

Conduit run the remaining distance to the demarc.

The canal behind the building. Anyone/everyone who saw me working back there had to remind me that an alligator lived in the canal and to be careful...one eye on my work, one eye on the canal.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
OP Offline
Originally posted by jwooten:
Are you getting paid to clear the pipe even if not successful?
Does the customer have an electrical contractor on staff or contract for just such an event?
Is installing new pipe an option?
Is installing direct bury an option?
What's the best course of action and you still make money?
My only other option was to dig a new trench and run new conduit. 120' through rocky, compacted soil (in 87 degree weather...with an alligator breathing down your neck) ain't my idea of fun. I'm using direct bury cable in the conduit. Direct bury by itself would have required a significant trench.

Electrical contractor? It's my job, why would I call an electrician? The only time I speak with electricians is to find out where the nearest liquor store or bar is. [Linked Image from freesmileyface.net]

This was one of those jobs that I didn't want, so I quoted an outrageous amount...outrageous enough to make the client balk (if you make an attorney swallow his gum, you know you're charging too much laugh ). So yes, I am being compensated well for doing this, including digging out the dirt.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Well done! clap

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
As Hal said " Well Done "

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Minnesota farm boy
Cute. Well, if I drive about 20 miles, I might see a cow! :rofl: Sometimes we just get lucky but as professionals we just let the customer think we know exactly what we are doing!

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
Minnesota farm boy
Cute.
Forgive me for typecasting, sorry. I just assumed that everyone from MN was raised on the farm! Thanks again for all your help. :toast:

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
I had a worse case of this a couple years ago. A conduit leading from a national chain restaurant to the reader board was filled with cement. Seems the pipe layer or, form maker made the cement form to hi, or the pipe to low. When the cement was pored guess where the cement went? you guessed it, right down the hole. I had driven three hours from Vancouver to wire and install all the Network equipment in the restaurant then, route the last two cables to the reader board.

My company called the PM for this chain to see what could be done. A plumber used a special heavy duty augur to remove concrete in a metal conduit.

The second time I went to do the cable install, the conduit was STILL not clear!! So, another 6 hours of driving wasted

Third try, the conduit was finally clear of cement and I routed and terminated the cable. Not sure who ate the 12 hours or round trip drive time but it sure was testing my patience.

Good job, Danny!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I am going to share a conduit experience that will "blow your mind".
Back in 68-69 time frame I was installing phones in a dept store. Keep in mind this was back in the day when it was common that jobs required the electrical contractor to provide a conduit for each phone.
Well, one of the conduits was stopped up about 75 feet into the run of a 150 foot conduit. I tried to force the fish tape but to no avail. I went to the electrician and told him his conduit was clogged. He poked around with it a few minutes and finally let loose with a few expletives. He then went to his truck and came back with a blasting cap and a roll of wire. He connected the blasting cap to the wire, taped it to the fish tape and inserted it into the conduit until it reached the blockage. He then set off the blasting cap and the blockage (pieces of concrete) came blowing out the other end. We then vacuumed the conduit to remove the residue and all was good.
When he inserted the blasting cap into the conduit I thought for sure we were going to have a blowout in the middle of the floor!

Bill

Our most valuable products are our knowledge, experience and time.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024