web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Maybe I am behind the times. I have not installed cable between buildings for several years.

My employer wants me to install direct burial cable attaching it to an already existing span with cable ties. They won't purchase a cable with a messenger. But that is not the worst of it.

They don't want to install a ground stake with a #6 cable coming from the protector. I don't think thay will even want to bond and ground the shield.

They want me to terminate the pairs to the protector and then run a ground wire (#10 I suppose) from the protector to some kind of an adapter that plugs into a 110VAC outlet and which supposedly only has continuity with the ground terminal at the outlet. Of course this would send a lightning strike through who knows where in their customer's building

Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

This idea seems absolutely wrong and very unsafe

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
That is not proper grounding. An inspector would red tag that one for sure.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Sorry Dave,

I forgot to mention that there won't be any inspection. And, because of that, they think that this "grounding adapter" will be adequate

If you can't convince them its wrong, and your going to do it, at least use the black cable ties (uv rated) on the overhead, direct burial.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
KLD Offline
While this ought to be in the outside wiring forum, and being in the St. Louis area (IBEW Local 1), are you and your employer ready for the mess and liability issues? Yes, LIABILITY! Between the icky pic running out all over the place and the lightning induced fire......well.....

Now IF I were there, somehow, a mysterious phone call to the inspector would be placed....or to the culprits' insurance carrier....hmmmmmmm.....

Ken
---------
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Why in the world would they want you to install direct burial cable overhead? Talk about a recipe for an oozing mess at the ends!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
This is a liability issue. If (and when) an event occurs, and there is damage or, worse, loss of life, the "Nuremberg defense" will not work. You'll be on the hook because you installed it that way.

Protect yourself and your co-workers and call a local NFPA inspector and have him state, to your boss, the proper grounding requirements for this job. A legitimate, reputable business with ethical management personnel would welcome the input from a recognized expert. A shady, fly-by-night operation would ask you to violate NFPA and NESC code and create an unsafe, dangerous condition. The next question you need to ask yourself is: do you really want to work for someone who is so cavalier about your's and your co-worker's life safety? I know I wouldn't.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally posted by chuckeycharles:
They want me to terminate the pairs to the protector and then run a ground wire (#10 I suppose) from the protector to some kind of an adapter that plugs into a 110VAC outlet and which supposedly only has continuity with the ground terminal at the outlet. Of course this would send a lightning strike through who knows where in their customer's building

Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

This idea seems absolutely wrong and very unsafe
No sense in using anything larger than #12 - That's all that will be between the outlet and whatever ground at the panel. Even then the outlet ground is only designed to carry 20A from a hot/ground short long enough to pop a circuit breaker. If a lightning strike doesn't blow the adapter right out of the outlet, it will probably melt the wire or blow half the splices along that run.

In other words, Don't Do It!

You are intelligent, know your business, and obviously have a conscience. Is the guy who is telling you to do this the Big Boss, or some middle-management guy?

Is your employer willing to "put it in writing?"

Does the customer know that your employer is a jerk and a criminal?

If your employer tells you to do something illegal, you have several choices.

Do it, because, as an employee you are indemnified.

Refuse to do it, and get fired.

Call the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) and get fired.

Are you a member of a union?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

With all the old timers who know the business retiring and the new generation that doesn't know their ass from their elbow taking over, it's no wonder this industry is going down hill fast.

I wouldn't worry about it, just do what they tell you because it's going to look just fine next to all the other crap we see every day.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 115 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024