web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I don't know about the c-class, but in the ip/s/e/x classes, the day/night ring list can have max 10 stations. The rest of the comment about department groups is correct.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Woah boy! Alright I'll handle each post individually and hopefully will make some sense. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Call the installer. This could be a problem in so many different ways.</font>

I did call the installer after posting the intial post, but unfortunately they've been exactly zero help. Their answer was "sorry, that's just the way it works and we can't do anything about it," which I'm fairly disappointed with. Judging by the replies I've gotten here, it seems like it should be a setting or something rather than an impossible task.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...or even a Department group that's ringing. Of the above, only the department group can't have the name removed...</font>

Hang on, though... I don't want anything "removed", I want both the name and number displayed when someone's calling in. Currently it only shows the name until I pick up, then it shows the number.

We also don't have departments set up at the office, to my knowledge. When people call the office, it rings everywhere and we're all in the same "group."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">YOU MUST USE DEPARTMET GROUPS AND WHEN YOU USE A DEPARTMENT THE INCOMMING CALL WILL SHOW THE CALLER NAME ON THE TOP ROW AND THE DEPARTMENT ON THE NEXT ROW THEN WHEN THE CALL IS PICKED UP IT WILL SHOW THE NAME AND NUMBER OF THE CALLER HOPE THIS HELPS </font>

Ahh... That really hurts to read. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] I don't see what using departments has to do with it... Like I mentioned, we have one phone number that when people call in, rings everywhere in the office. I don't understand why is it apparently so hard to show the phone number calling in along with a name without having to deal with groups or departments or whatever. If caller ID works flawlessy at home with one line, it should work at the office with one line too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't know about the c-class, but in the ip/s/e/x classes, the day/night ring list can have max 10 stations.</font>

What does having a station ringing have to do with proper caller ID? And again with departments! We have ten people in the office, there's no need for departments or any crazy setup.

I'm sorry, I'm getting frustrated and just want a straight answer I can understand since the installer's failing to do much with the issue.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you have installer prog. access.
Go to Function 2-1-1

/snip</font>

This I can follow, if I know where to start. By "installer program access", do you mean the GUI you can use on a computer to maintain or set settings for the system? We have that installed but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet so I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Before going any further, Morgan, please completely fill out your profile. Thanks!</font>

Why? o_O It doesn't say that information is required, and I'd rather not give out more info than is necessary... (Apart from the confusion about me being the installer or not, but that was cleared up without a profile.)

m19

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
The profile helps us identify who it is we are talking to, be it tech, end user, etc. Based on your responses, you have already identified yourself as an end user. What the profile also does for us is allows us to have contact information for you so that we could offer help to you offline, which could end up furthering this along a little faster, thereby ending some of your frustration.

As for the whole confusion you are having with departments, names, etc, please allow me to explain in the best way I know how. It really depends on what kind of phone you have, first of all. If you have a phone with a 2-line LCD, it cannot show as much as the 48-button phone that has a 3-line LCD. When a call rings in, depending on how you wanted the system setup, and depending on how many phones you wanted to ring, the installer could have either directed incoming calls to a department, typically a ring-all group, or to a list of extensions. If the installer went with a list of extensions, they would have been limited to ten extensions. A department group is typically used for inbound ringing when the customer desires to have more than 10 phones ring consecutively. If a department group was used for inbound ringing, the ESI system will always show you the NAME of the department group. A department group has a default name of DEPT 29X (290-299). It can be renamed to something different, but cannot have its name removed completely. Because this is showing up on the LCD, there is less space available, and therefore is one reason why CID info is reduced during that inbound call. If the installer programmed inbound calls with a list of extensions (10 or fewer), and if each line port didn't have a name assigned, your CID would show up with the Name and Number. The other scenario that would prevent full CID from showing up is if the installer programmed each line port with a name ("Line 1" or "555-1212" or whatever), this information would also have first priority on the LCD, and therefore would prevent all of the CID info from showing up during an inbound call. This is just how ESI does it. If you are using a department group, an installer will need to program inbound calls to ring to a list of extensions. This may limit you, but it is a give and take situation. If the problem is simply that they programmed the line ports with a name, that only needs to be removed for you to see all of your CID info.

What model phones do you have? I'm just wondering.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

OP Offline
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll pick out bits and respond in turn:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What model phones do you have? I'm just wondering.</font>

The system is an IVX 72e class and the phones look like this: https://www.esi-estech.com/products/systems/E-Class/

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It really depends on what kind of phone you have, first of all. If you have a phone with a 2-line LCD, it cannot show as much as the 48-button phone that has a 3-line LCD. </font>

I know it has the ability to display both the caller's name and phone number because it shows both as soon as you pick up the phone. It looks like there's 3 LCD lines available for text. When the phone rings, the first one only displays the caller's name, the second one remains blank, and the third shows what lines are in use. Once you pick it up, the first line still shows the name and the second line then displays the phone number.

See why I think this is odd? There's plenty of room to display name and number because they both show up after you pick up the phone– that seems stupid. What's the point of ID if you have to pick it up to see the number first?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When a call rings in, depending on how you wanted the system setup, and depending on how many phones you wanted to ring, the installer could have either directed incoming calls to a department, typically a ring-all group, or to a list of extensions.</font>

We have ten phones in the office; when a call comes in eight of the phones ring and two are set to not ring.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A department group is typically used for inbound ringing when the customer desires to have more than 10 phones ring consecutively. </font>

We don't have more than 10, nor are there more than 10 ringing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If the problem is simply that they programmed the line ports with a name, that only needs to be removed for you to see all of your CID info.</font>

Honestly, everything you said before this sort of makes sense but, since I have no idea how they programmed the phones, it's hard to say what's what. What I will do is forward what you just said to the installer and see how they've done it.

I'm getting tired of having to try and do their work for them, though. =\

m19

Good answer! Put it back in the installers lap. They should be able to get it working. If the cause is not from either of the two scenarios I mentioned, they will need to put a call into ESI tech support to diagnose it. Good luck!

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

OP Offline
Huzzah!

After three "well we tried XYZ but I'm sorry, this can't be fixed– that's just the way it is" excuses from the installer, I finally got them to go directly to ESI. ESI then called us and fixed the problem remotely in under 2 minutes.

Yay ESI, boo to the installers. If you're going to tell a client something isn't possible, you should at least *try* all the options first. My opinion of the installer is pretty low right now considering I'm the one who got them to actually do their job.

In any case, thanks for all the help, it was much appreciated!

m19

BTW... what did ESI do to fix the problem. I have ben having the same problem with an IVX 128e gen 2.

Calls come in as DID's over a PRI. In Cal. our T1's do not support CID but our PRI's do.

Anyhow, when calls come in the display reads unavailable at the top LCD line. When the call is answered the number shows up on the second LCD line.

All phones are 48 button sets and we are running the latest 128 software.

OP Offline
I have no idea, honestly. What I'm aware is that ESI called in remotely, reprogrammed something, and it worked. Sorry I can't be any more specific. =\

m19

No doubt the same thigs they do when you get talk off..things the installer cannot do and ESI will not allow them to do.

Heres what I had to do in my case. I had to name all 23 of my PRI lines/channels using ESI-access. Then I had to go into installer programming via the set and delete each name one by one.

Using ESI-access to delete did not work had to be done from a set.

ESI offers alot but alot of us here in Cali are getting fed up with em'.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024