web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46262 11/17/04 06:24 PM
tnr Offline OP
OP Offline
Just acquired a two-station Equity III system, although at the moment the KSU isn't available for experimentation (I have two each 2312501 units made in Jericho, NY.)

Was wondering if they're of any use without the KSU or without a hunt group, and if useful, what wiring considerations there are. I may not have access to the KSU unit for a while, so I would like to use them without it if possible. Environment would be POTS twisted pair, single line analog.

[This message has been edited by tnr (edited November 17, 2004).]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The phone MUST be plugged into the KSU. They will not function in any way, shape, or form without it. If you plug them directly into a line, you will fry the phones.
Ring voltage for those phones on that system is, i think, 5v. Regular telco lines use 90v for ring. What do you think will happen when a phone that is designed to get 5v gets hit with 90v?
If you have already tried this, you can send them to us for repair and there is about a 50/50 chance that they are salvageable.

------------------
Executone Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited November 18, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited November 18, 2004).]

tnr Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't plugged them into anything! They're the first pulls of a longer salvage operation; I'll eventually have all the components including the KSU, but I don't think the manual(s) will be found (that's an unknown at this time).

Will the KSU function on a standard, single telephone line, or does it require a minimum of two? What happens if you connect the KSU to a single line?

The site this system is pulled from had two-line roll-over; if I recall correctly, that worked out to two physical phone lines from the local telco central office (indistinguishable from the more simple case of having two phone lines by just inspecting the wiring in the basement).

Seems to me that functions such as hold etc should still work on a single line, and that the system should generally perform identically (to the two-line installation it came from) unless there is a second inbound call (or of course if one wanted to make a second (outbound) call, while a call is in progress).

--

As an aside, my name isn't Lana, so I don't suppose people will be falling over themselves to answer my questions. I noticed that 'Lana' gets a PDF of the entire system manual e-mailed to her, whereas 'Tex' or 'Chuck' or 'Bill' gets the could shoulder.

Is it somehow less illegal to send the copyrighted PDF (with the schematics and things I need) to a woman? [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

I can be Lana for you, if it will speed things along.

JJ Offline
For single-line phones to work you need a piggyback board on the KSU to make it work.
Ihave in PDF format, but to large to send grom dialup service.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.
I think that you missed what he is asking JJ.
The "system" will function just fine with only one line coming in. I am assuming that you want a system as opposed to regular home phones in order to use some of the other features that the system has.
Having multiple lines coming in and rolling over if one is busy is a service provided by the telephone company.
We are an authorized re-seller of manuals "owned" by InterTel, including the entire Executone line. I will not jeopardize that position by sending anyone free manuals. I am sorry.

------------------
Intertel Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

You need 2 pair per phone, and watch the fuse in the ksu , each phone has its own fuse
any short will pop it, 250ma or 400ma? cant remember.

Rick

------------------
Komon Communications Inc. Business Communication Systems and Service

tnr Offline OP
OP Offline
I was just being annoying, paul -- I understand about copyrighted materials. At any rate seems they're not practical to download via dialup; I've seen the CDROM offered for US $24. Hopefully the paper version will arrive along with the KSU.

paul's post answers my q. wrt using a standard single line from the telco central office with the Equity III KSU -- thanks!

This isn't a case of needing any of the features of the Equity III -- I want to experiment with the system at home since .. well .. I have it. I never got to play with it when it was installed in the going concern I've acquired it from, since they um needed it to do business every day. The KSU was pulled today and I'll have it in a week's time.

I read that some Executone systems require a 150 foot run per extension (else you rewire with inline 10 ohm resistors on both tip and ring) -- does that sound right? Also read to swap iirc black and yellow for the handset connection, inside the phone, to work with standard handset cords (that Executone made them proprietary by use of nonstandard wiring on the handset circuit, and that the work-around is a simple crossover wiring).

I take it a piggyback arrangement where if you use standard two-wire phones (the ones that are designed to connect to a POTS network) you need a piggyback board inside the KSU.

This is going to be fun. Thank you very much for the information! I'll try not to pop any fuses. The fellow I'm acquiring from has had them for 25 years, moved them at least three times that I know of, and managed to gain the manual from an Executone rep, back in the day. He mentioned that music-on-hold was $75 to him (from Executone) and thought it was just an access code he didn't have.

Regards

de Chris, WA1TNR

JJ Offline
You can plug the phones directly into the KSU on the equity III.

ON the IDS 15700 cards you needed the 150 foot distance.

You are correct you need the piggy-back board fot thr single line phones to work.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.

Moderated by  nonameyet, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 161 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024