web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#470340 04/10/05 04:02 AM
Right now it's only for their own phones. This will change in version 15 I am told because the UGW will be sip compliant and the sentinel will be built onto the UGW itself. Look for it later this summer or fall. Only works on Coral systems at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Coral Tech (edited April 10, 2005).]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#470341 04/15/05 01:14 PM
I think you guys might have missed the original point. The answer to the question is, there is no SIP central registry because SIP is not an address resolution protocol. SIP is only a gateway protocol that allows a client at any IP address to connect with a given server, which then can connect with the PSTN. All the protocol does is to inform the server that a client is authenticated as having a certain IP address, user name and set of capabilities. The server then acts as that client's proxy to originate and terminate calls on the PSTN.

Now what you might be referring to is the handoff, if one SIP phone calls another. According to its dialplan, the SIP server knows that a certain dialed number can be reached at a certain SIP address (which is a regular IPv4 internet address) and extension. Once the calling and called servers agree, the SIP phones are told to make their own native bridge and the server drops out of the voice path.

As other posters have said, this is in its infancy and the applications are not mature. SIP is definitely a standard, though, and can be read at https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt?number=3261

#470342 04/15/05 02:44 PM
OP Offline
Now we're getting somewhere. So I have a swith made by ABC and I want to call an end point in a switch made by DEF and I want it to be SIP to SIP. Can I do it now or in the future?

#470343 04/16/05 07:50 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MARK3906:
Now we're getting somewhere. So I have a swith made by ABC and I want to call an end point in a switch made by DEF and I want it to be SIP to SIP. Can I do it now or in the future?</font>

That's a number one priorty I was told on Thursday by a Comdial insider.

#470344 04/16/05 07:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by altaphon:
I think you guys might have missed the original point. The answer to the question is, there is no SIP central registry because SIP is not an address resolution protocol. SIP is only a gateway protocol that allows a client at any IP address to connect with a given server, which then can connect with the PSTN. All the protocol does is to inform the server that a client is authenticated as having a certain IP address, user name and set of capabilities. The server then acts as that client's proxy to originate and terminate calls on the PSTN.

Now what you might be referring to is the handoff, if one SIP phone calls another. According to its dialplan, the SIP server knows that a certain dialed number can be reached at a certain SIP address (which is a regular IPv4 internet address) and extension. Once the calling and called servers agree, the SIP phones are told to make their own native bridge and the server drops out of the voice path.

As other posters have said, this is in its infancy and the applications are not mature. SIP is definitely a standard, though, and can be read at https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt?number=3261
</font>

Altaphon that info is what has been needed - thanks for the excellent input!!

Harleyman

#470345 04/20/05 09:49 AM
Spoke to Kentrox engineering today. The next release of the Q series router will allow for SIP NAT traversal without a VPN. This is what we're looking for!

ElectSys Tech LLC
Hosted Phone Systems Solutions Provider
Allworx, Sangoma, FreePBX
Telephone & computer systems in the Jefferson City, Columbia MO area.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,458 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,090 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
C5Z 2
Who's Online Now
2 members (Keyset6, justbill), 151 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024