web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#470790 02/21/06 03:03 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
OP Offline
I don't buy into everything he says, and sorry to be linking to Sandman again, but this IS an interesting read if you are looking into or moving toward VOIP. Like I said, I don't go with everything Mike says, but it's good reading, and gets people thinking.

https://www.sandman.com/VoIPresearch.html

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#470791 02/21/06 03:54 PM
I think most of what he is saying is SAGE advice and should be well healed . It's the Gumby like character on the diving board I can't figure out .

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
#470792 02/22/06 02:11 AM
I'm sorry, but most of this article sounds to me like the griping of an old time tech who is unable - or in this case perhaps more likely, unwilling because of financial interests - to grow or keep up with the new technology and wants to convince you to do the same!

I used to be into restoring old Cadillacs - late 50s to mid 60s. To me he sounds like the same kind of bitching and moaning I used to hear from old time car mechanics about fuel injection, electronic rotors and abs breaks.

Is anything he said false - well I know from personal experience that 911 for example works JUST FINE on Vonage lines for example.
But it's mostly the anecdotal ad homs and straw-men!

For every single customer he points to with issues, I can point to one for whom it's working just fine! And even without his admission that
trying to get tech support from a traditional service provider is not ANY easier (that's one of the major reasons that customers are flocking to alternative providers - most frequent comment I get is "well it can't be any worse then what I am getting from Verizon now and it's half the price) all you have to do is read Ed's continued soap box about his Verizon nightmares.

Are there issues with VOIP? YOU BET?
But what exactly is new about that? They're different issues from the past, but if legacy systems were/are as bullet proof and easy as he seems to claim then WHAT THE HELL are we doing being telephone technicians, besides ripping off our customers by charging them money for working on equipment that never breaks, has no compatibility issues and can do everything the customer always wants eek . Or for that matter what the hell is he doing being in business selling equipment that is almost exclusively related to solving hard, unique and weird issues that come up with the very same legacy systems he claims are ever SO supperior to the new fangled solutions???????

#470793 02/22/06 04:59 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I agree with you there Corywn. It seemed as if he was rambling on and jumping from topic to topic and covered just about everything bad you can imagine.

There was one decent paragraph about users going from a key system to a PBX environment that really hit home though. It was near the end. That's exactly what we are going through with a hospital that we recently cut over. Even after seven full days of training, much of it one-on-one, they still can't comprehend the requirement to transfer or park a call now.

Mike has some truly unique ideas and certainly unique products, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in his story.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#470794 02/22/06 08:28 AM
It seemed as if he was rambling on and jumping from topic to topic and covered just about everything bad you can imagine.

He'd fit in really good here.

#470795 02/22/06 12:56 PM
I knew there was something I liked about Mike Sandman. clap

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#470796 02/22/06 04:32 PM
Corwyn,
Well said!
You have saved the rest of us misled folks alot of typing!

#470797 02/22/06 05:05 PM
OP Offline
Oh! I figured HAL would appreciate every word!! :dance:

#470798 02/23/06 05:18 AM
Has anybody ever heard of the apple and oranges analogy? Well Sandman has the entire Dallas Fruit Market in that article. VoIP is the most misunderstood acronymn in the telephony business today. Voice over Internet Protocol is a multitude of standards that boils down to one thing: packetizing voice (speech) at point A using CODEC's (Coding>Decoding, another acronymn) and the 7 Network OSI Layers in transferring to Point B and completing the process. Most people don't understand there is VoIP that is managed (within an organization's network infrastructure) and un-managed (which utilizes the IP cloud most commonly referred to as the world wide web) for point to point voice networking in the case of hardware considerations. The un-managed network infrastructure is the one that has created the biggest black eye for VoIP! Then the telephone system hardware is dragged in and blamed for poor performance when actually somewhere the network infrastructure is improperly adapted or configured (lack of bandwidth, QoS, antiquated level two and three switches, routers, etc, etc.) Then there are the VoIP services from the CLEC's, ILEC's, LEC's, and recently RBOC's. There are more VoIP services being utilized by the carriers than most are aware of. I read an article a few weeks ago that predicts total VoIP utilization by all carriers around 2008 eliminating copper POTS lines. Then the gas gets thrown onto the VoIP fire with SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) standard which is heavily being adopted at a fast pace by everyone today. CBeyond which is headquartered in Atlanta and has numerous cities for available service, introduced SIP at the end of 2005 for availability. Our business is transgressing towards a software environment and this is more apparent everyday. I hope Mike has the opportunity to read this thread and understand the full VoIP spectrum has not been reviewed. (That's my dollar for today, any chance of change?)

#470799 02/23/06 05:34 AM
OP Offline
Very well said. No change. You definitely said a dollar's worth.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 189 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024