web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
My mom switched over to Cox digital phone from Verizon (landline) since they're $7/month cheaper. When I called her after they made the switch, I noticed a big improvement right away. It just sounded better than Verizon did.(The CO is about 2 miles away).

My understanding is that this is a VOIP service but it does NOT go over the public internet. The VOIP part stays on Cox's network till it hits the CO switch.

Interestingly, she was using it with a dialup ISP and the modem was connecting at 28.8K (it's a 56K modem). Since Cox uses a Motorola SBV5220 which also doubles as a cable modem, I called Cox and got the $17/month data plan (256K up, 768K down). I connected the computer to it and cancelled the dialup ISP service since it's no longer needed.

So to summarize:

Cox uses VOIP.
It sounds good.
It allows 28.8K connects for those still using modems.
They have a $17/month data plan.
The same device is both a phone adapter and a cable modem.

BTW, the SBV5220 has an 8-hour battery backup in it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It's not internet-based, but privatized-IP where they can enforce QoS and SLA. TimeWarner/BrightHouse cable uses a privatized IP network for all their digital Cable/Voice/Data. Basically a network in a network smile

Originally posted by Kumba:
It's not internet-based, but privatized-IP where they can enforce QoS and SLA. TimeWarner/BrightHouse cable uses a privatized IP network for all their digital Cable/Voice/Data. Basically a network in a network smile
Not necessarily.

This is a digital service delivered and functioning much like UDC on traditional twisted pair. The deployment for VOIP is there but is very limited and mostly only in Va.

Edit for revision:

I know in Oklahomaa Cox Communications stinks I had there service they messed me over for 6 months I finially had a letter from ESI and ESI said that it was not the phone system as Cox said I took my system to one of my better customers and used the system from my office and it worked fine on AT&T lines so I switched to AT&T and have never had any problems since then and I have never looked back since then. I use to refer all my customer to Cox and since then have switched alost all my customer over to AT&T. I really have nothing good to say about Cox.

OP Offline
So far I have to say Cox is better than Comcast. Comcast really went downhill after they bought Adelphia.

Well I know my mother In Louisiana is on Comcast and I have not heard anything about them. I just speak on my own experiences with differeny vendors.

We have cut over a ton of customers to Cox "Digital phone" (this is not voip) and not one complaint; only praises. The other option is Qwest's shitty service over antiquated copper infrastructure, which often has static during rain or just shorts out in general.

However, we did remove one customer from Cox that was using voip PRI back to qwest. Unable to handle modems and faxing with this service.

BTW, my residential service has 20M downloads at $40/month. Im using Cox.

OP Offline
The Motorola SBV5220 is a VOIP device, according to the spec sheet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024