web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Where is this "2-3 times the cost" element come from? Cost of what?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Hal thanks for starting this thread. With the wealth of telcom experience here, it's certainly a subject worthy of discussion on this board.

Dave (Mooretel here on the board) recently pointed out that NoiseyCow had made a very credible post regarding VoIP in the Installer's Forum and felt it would be a good addition to this thread. I'm reposting it below with NoisyCow's permission:

Originally posted by Noisycow in another thread:
We have noticed our competition quoting 'all VOIP' phone system configurations with IP vs digital phone systems are estimating jobs without telling the customer about all the facts.

Jobs with network hardware and cabling that is not of the level required to support a VOIP are told that their pending 'VOIP' projects are likely to be a 'cakewalk.' "Just plug in these VOIP phones"

They seem to quote their boilerplate system, then when, not if, there are problems they then refer to the fine print that any network/cabling issues are the customer's responsibility. These 'problem' upgrades can end up costing the customer more than the initial phone system.

Seems pretty careless. I mention this because there a simply many installations where digital makes more sense and these vendors selling the almighty 'all VOIP' leave a lot of acccounts in worse shape then if they kept their old systems.

Today's hybrids offer the best of both worlds (but then everyone here knows that). We just couldn't ever see selling something we know is doomed to failure because the customer was left uninformed of all the issues. What is scary is this type of sales practice has become pretty much standard.

Kudos to those who sell VOIP systems and are truly professional and test/quote the entire upgrade hardware necessary and don't leave accounts in a lurch - however they are in the minority by far.

NoisyCow has hit the nail on the head squarely: the biggest problem that we have marketing our hosted solution is overcoming the bad taste left by those who did VOIP badly and carelessly. To that end the very first step that our installers MUST do is to run our speed test (which tests bandwidth, jitter and latency in the real live environment) on the prospective customer's site. No good speed test (without a resolution by the installer/partner) = No System Install.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by Peterbu:
Where is this "2-3 times the cost" element come from? Cost of what?
Just for starters.....1 48 port patch panel compared to 2x66 type blocks....actually the patch panel is MANY, Many times the cost. smile

Edited for spelling error....Oooops!

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Peterbu, 2-3 times the cost of a TDM or hybrid. After all, even if the client has an exhisting 10/100baseT network, it's probably going to wind up overloaded with traffic, requiring a Completely Seperate network for the VOIP. And either way, it will probably require upgrading all the exhisting routers, and providing POE power, either in the network or power cubes to plug into the starved-for-outlets offices. And never mind the reboots, licensces, and continious upgrades and patches for the patches. Those power cubes alone list out at 1/2 the cost of a TDM phone!

The TDM system can use CAT three cable that, in truth, only has to have 1 decent pair, though any ethical communications company would not cut corners in that manner. AND it's probably already in place AND in use with the exhisting TDM system, that can be upgraded for 1/5, or less, the cost of going 'VOIP', or replaced for 1/3-1/2 the cost. And if a few VOIP extensions actually make sense, they can be added with minimal cabling and disruption. As I have said before, the only use I, and I think most others here, can see for VOIP, is remote/home worker(s). And the occassional on-the-road worker, who will probably have problems finding enough capacity to run his VOIP phone, sitting in his hotel/motel room.

The DOG "JUST DON'T HUNT" to quote a highly appropriate saying! smile PUFF, PUFF, PUFF, danged emphezema! Any body else want the soapbox!? John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
If I had any doubts about existing wiring, I'd check it from top to bottom. (Sorry for the small hijack frown )

I Love FEATURE 00
How is a telephone call or any reasonable number of telephone calls going to saturate a network? They are approximately 100 kilobit/second over a 100 megabit/second network. Even if you only want to use 1/4 of your capacity for voice you still end up with 250 simultaneous calls.
There's not much price premium for a PoE ethernet switch compared to a decent non-PoE switch.
We just completed a 50 station IP Office installation and the cost savings in not installing separate voice and data cabling and moving over their Toshiba system with a few upgrades covered the price of the system itself and the required ethernet switches.
There's a great quote that this discussion reminds me of:
<quote>I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year. (The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, Inc., 1957 </quote>

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
What if the customer only needs a dozen phones or so? Where is the cost justification? You know, the typical corner store or small business. It seems as if the pro-IP or pro-hosted IP guys see this or 2/4 line phones as being the only options. They seem to feel the need to convince customers that the systems that have carried our communications for decades are suddenly junk.

I don't understand that part. I see their proposal as "overpriced or junk", with nothing in between. Exactly who is setting these standards? I really doubt that the customers are making such decisions.

I think that a big part of this discussion is that VoIP isn't for everyone, yet people who sell it exclusively manage to figure out a way to "force-fit" a customer into $15K worth of hardware. Worse-yet, they are sold hosted IP with never-ending fixed monthly station costs.

Oh on a side-note: What happens if the customer loses their IP connection? With hosted IP, they lose everything, even internal communications. Should I have brought that up?

All of this when $3K would have been more than sufficient with a few POTS lines for the standard small business. Let us not forget that small business makes up 60% or more of our industry.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I still have a hard time in justifying a 100% IP system or even more so, a hosted IP setup. Maybe I am just ignorant, but consider me to be your customer for a moment and try to convince me why this is a better solution. I just don't see it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Well said Ed.

VoIP isn't for everyone, yet people who sell it exclusively manage to figure out a way to "force-fit" a customer into $15K worth of hardware. Worse-yet, they are sold hosted IP with never-ending fixed monthly station costs.

I think the over-simplified answer to your question is that this happens because of greedy salespeople and gullable customers. When it comes to technology you can't expect customers to be experts any more than you can expect a salesperson not to take advantage of that fact.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I for one know of MANY small business and corner store type places that are completely happy with their older key systems (Avaya, Panasonic) and would not take the VOIP hype. Heck, most of them only have one computer and a DSL connection at best, and 2-4 lines and a few phones.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,008 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (jsaad, Professor Shadow), 164 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024