web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#472653 11/07/08 09:03 AM
Jim@360 Offline OP
OP Offline
I found this forum while researching info on IP-PBXs and I have spent the better part of my afternoon reading. I wish I would have found this earlier as it is a great resource.

For my first post I would like to ask if anyone has had any experience with the Adtran NetVanta 7060 or 7100. I am looking for a solution for a smaller branch office and I have had great results with many of their other products.

This particular branch office has been using a hosted PBX (Aptela...horrible CS :bang: ) and we have decided to put a solution in place that we have better control over. With only four users it is hard for us to justify a large capital expenditure of system that would be overkill for their needs but the 7060 looks like it would perform well. Btw, we are using Polycom 501 phones.

Thanks in advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#472654 11/12/08 01:50 AM
I am aware of the Adtran ip system, I think it uses re-badged polycomm or Avaya phones.

But I have never seen a single one in the NJ area.

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
#472655 11/12/08 02:16 AM
They make very good mid market routers and other equipment, so I would not doubt if their IPBX is decent. Our rep has been pushing us to sell it, but we do not have the need as Allworx fills that place for us. Honestly though, I have never seen one in place in our market, which makes one wonder about support should you need it.

Steve

#472656 11/13/08 05:38 AM
Unless you are going to use a full Adtran solution, as in the Router and switches I would look to another product for the phone system. There are many IP systems out there that can suffice, for about half the price.

#472657 11/13/08 05:47 AM
It didn't seem like a bad system but from what I had heard it wasn't price competitive for what it was providing. Their previous phones are Polycom's but the new ones appear to be their own design.

#472658 11/13/08 05:57 AM
Jim@360 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I decided to go with this system and it will be on my desk in a matter of hours. I decided to go with it because of my familiarity with other Adrtan products, since I am installing the system myself. Other options that I found at this price point would have required third party installation, not that Adtran recommends this system to be installed by the end uers.

The list price was about $XXXX and I picked it up for around $XXXX. More than anything I was going for reliability of not only the product but the service from Adtran. I will post my experiences with the unit as I go.

#472659 11/13/08 06:59 AM
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Steve

#472660 11/14/08 07:55 PM
Many great products over the years, time will tell on the IP systems.

#472661 12/02/08 02:15 PM
hey jim, i'm curious how your install went. please post the details.

#472662 12/03/08 02:52 AM
Jim@360 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry I haven't posted my full report yet, I will physically install the system in tomorrow as I was waiting on the ISP to install the fiber internet which the phone lines will run on.

From a hardware standpoint the fans are a bit loud, but then again it’s not going to stay on my desk for much longer. Other than that it is a solid until with lots of potential for growth. Since I only have 4 users I will be using the 7060's available ports on a separate VLAN to replace a no name switch we have. It also has two gigabit copper/fiber ports which I will utilize for my server.

I set the unit up with about 5 hours worth of work and almost all of it was done in the web GUI. I am familiar with their other NetVanta series products and this one falls in line with the others. From the factory the system only needs to have a few settings added before it can be functional, but I decided to change quite a bit on the unit i.e. change 4 digit extensions to 3, make two auto attendants, add ring groups. The information available on the Adtran support website was quite complete and came in handy a few times.

The phone setup was a breeze, as it turns out the Adtran phones are rebranded Polycom phones and since I am using Polycom 501 phones it was as easy as entering a MAC address, assigning a user, pointing the phone to the unit and rebooting. I tried to get a Polycom IP500 to work but it won't accept the software from the unit do to a software limitation on that particular phone. I also made a custom image of the company logo for the phone to display, it took me about 6 hours and 10 versions to get it to a point where I was happy with it.

The switch does have PoE capability but I just couldn't justify spending more money on the PoE cables from Polycom and the AC/DC adapter cables that I have now work just fine.

There are a few things I will have to do once the system is in place, the first of which will be to test and adjust the impedance and gain settings to make sure the DTMF tones are sent properly. This needs to be done from the command line interface and depending on the hardware version of FXO card it can be done with an automated process. The second will be to evaluate the ability to use the call lists on the phone itself to return a call. This had been an issue with another hosted solution we used because the caller ID information would come in as expected but the phone required you to dial 9 when making an outside call. I need to look into this more once the system is in and I will either need to look into ANI and DNIS replacement, or the more probable choice changing the dial plans to remove the need to dial 9. The final step will to utilize an IPSec VPN which I have built between my NetVanta 3448 router and an ISA server to have a remote phone. This is going to be a bit tricky because the VPN is not built on the 7060 but a NetVanta 3448 which the 7060 sits behind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024