web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473026 08/06/09 05:17 AM
djweis Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking for hopefully a single device that I can use with an Asterisk server to do loud ringing over a paging system as well as be dialable to do normal voice paging through overhead speakers.

All of the paging infrastructure is there so it doesn't need to include it's own amp.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#473027 08/06/09 12:08 PM
Not sure of a single device but a Dual-Port ATA would do the trick. You would wire port 1 to some loud ringer/trigger/etc, and line 2 could go to the PA.

#473028 08/06/09 01:35 PM
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Have a look at this from Viking Electronics

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
#473029 08/07/09 05:43 PM
I think the problem you are going to run into is that something connected to an analog device will either ring, or page.

Something would have to act like a phone. I have seen setups with traditional PBXs where people would open a phone and connect a PA to the speakes of a phone. When the phone rings, so does the PA. When the phone pages, ditto.

In other systems, the paging port can also pass a ringing sound to the PA. I wouldn't know if you could use the built in sound card to do the same thing in Asterisk.

I have the same situation trying to figure out how to use one horn for both ringing and paging. I was looking at https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=317 . Still needs 2 different outputs from the phone system, or in the case of POTS lines, this will be wired in parallel.

#473030 08/07/09 06:26 PM
Asterisk does support use of the console (sound-card) for use with paging and ringing. Last time I tried it the ringing part was iffy. I ended up recording the page, then when they hung up playing it back. Worked like a charm.

#473031 08/08/09 09:52 AM
> "ended up recording the page, then when they hung up playing it back"

That's pretty cool to do that the system. I have seen dedicated boxes called Feedback eliminators that do that. It records the page then plays back, even repeats.

I think I may try using the sound-card output first. There is already an FXS used for ringing. Worse case I'll get the viking part I linked and use the FXS for ringing and console for paging.

The existing page amp was wired directly into the phone of the old key system.

#473032 08/08/09 05:30 PM
djweis Offline OP
OP Offline
With most of the options, I'll have three devices hung on there, an ATA, a paging adapter, and a loud ringing adapter. It doesn't seem that crazy to have one device to take care of all of them. Maybe that's my million dollar idea :-)
Thanks for the pointers

#473033 08/09/09 07:46 AM
Yeah, it was a single asterisk context and a bash script. The context basically consisted of two lines. All the bash script did was background a process to play the sound file. And it also eliminated the feedback since some of the phones were near the horns.

If you want to test ringing you would need to edit alsa.conf (more then likely) and set autoanswer=no. Then you just add CONSOLE/dsp to your dial string and viola, you have an audible ringer on the sound card. Last time I tested this was 2 years ago on an old version of 1.2 Asterisk etc. It would lock the computer. It might work fine on new 1.4 Asterisk and kernels though. You will need to just test it.

Here is the page context:
---
[overheadpage]
exten => s,1,record(/tmp/papage,wav,3,60)
exten => h,1,system(/usr/local/bin/playpage.sh)
---

Then playpage.sh is basically this:
---
#!/bin/bash
alsaplay /path/to/some/notification-sound.wav &
wait 2 #(2 = the length of time in second of the notification sound)
alsaplay /tmp/papage.wav &
---

The last gotcha is that alsaplay doesn't always cleanly exit, so I put an entry into the cron to automatically kill (end-process) all alsaplay programs at 4am in the morning. That entry was as such:

---
0 4 * * * /usr/local/bin/alsaplayclean.sh
---

And the matching script was this:
---
#!/bin/bash
killall alsaplay
---

On a side note, once you have the sound card hooked up to the PA/Horns/Etc, you can also set-up start/break/stop bells that will automatically adjust to DST, do call announcement, etc. All you do is just change the sound file you play by creating different whatever.sh files and calling them with the system command in Asterisk or with cron. The system command will return almost immediately because of how the bash prompt is written which wont cause any issues with processing.

Maybe one day I'll document all this along with the other access control and security stuff I did at one point.

#473034 08/09/09 01:03 PM
Along the same lines-a customer has a hosted voip system and wants to do overhead paging in their office/factory. Can they just get an IP phone and I can tap off the speaker leads and connect it to an amp?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#473035 08/09/09 01:37 PM
I just installed one of those Viking M2W kits on a Vertical SBX IP phone to provide loud ringing at a small remote body shop. The IP phone volume wasn't real loud even at the highest setting. It seems to be working well. It was the only solution I could think of and the cost was acceptable.

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=185

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024