web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#473696 09/16/05 03:42 AM
Corwyn Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi gang,

I need some help. I was called out to a site to trouble shoot some data network
connections.

When I got there this is what I found.

Building one has cisco 1750 with all station in that building runing to it just fine.

Building 2 is separated by a driveway.
Cat5 PVC inside wire runing from patch panel through drop down ceiling. Comes out under the rain gutter of building one,
laying exposed on the roof of the building. The follows the corner siding down the building into a 1' conduit under the driveway. Comes up and then again exposed for about 5' and enters building 3 through a hole in the siding. connected directly to another cisco 1750.
And the equipment hasn't been struck by lighting yet - they should by a lottery ticket.

There is also a 12 pair underground cable that goes through the same 1" conduit that is terminated onto 2 66 blocks. no grounding of anykind anywhere.

I've never done outside cabling. Is there anything usable here or should I just start from scratch? What should be used between the 2 building?

C

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#473697 09/16/05 06:01 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Sounds like another case of fine craftsmanship. Actually, you may be OK here.

There is CAT5e direct burial cable available, but you will probably have to purchase a full roll of it. I get ours on e-bay, just search for "direct burial" and it's all over the place. I have picked up a few rolls for a little over $100.00 each. It's worth keeping one on-hand, although we haven't had to use any yet. We usually go with fiber between buildings and use media converters to minimize the lightning exposure risk.

There's no doubt that the PVC cable has water in it. Even if it's not actually punctured, there's still the above and below ground temperature difference that can create a collection of condensation within the cable. You are going to have to replace it. As for the run along the gutter line, at least if you use direct-burial CAT5e, it will be more tolerant of the environment.

Lastly, several protector manufacturers make CAT5e protectors (we use Panamax). They are a simple 8-conductor in/out connection. You will have to figure out the shielding part depending upon the cable you buy. Ours has a drain wire that can be pulled out of the cable entry part of the plug so it can be bonded to the protector's grounding terminal.

As for the 12 pair, there's not much of a "professional" way to terminate it. Telcos and people who do outside plant correctly use 5 or 25 pair and there are lots of quality protected entrance terminals for those sizes. 12 pair was not really ever recoginzed for feeding buildings, thus not a lot of 12 pair terminals were made. It was more of a distribution cable size, if anything.

I hate to recommend this, but about all you are going to find that's readily-available is a pair of "punch-down" protectors. I detest these things because they really aren't the same as a real protector. Still, anything is better than nothing. Just remember to use sheath bond clamps on the cable and bond it to the protector's ground terminal. Of course, bond the protector itself to the building ground in as short of a run as possible, using #6 copper if you have it.
------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

[This message has been edited by ev607797 (edited September 16, 2005).]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 84 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024