web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thanks Hal. I appreciate your feedback. I reviewed the specs on few of the direct block protectors. This included a couple from Porta Systems. They indicated that the 26 gauge fuseable link is built into the BEP direct block. Does this offer the protection that is needed for a fuseable link? Won't the pairs "burn open" in this case?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Won't the pairs "burn open" in this case?

Yup, that's exactly what they are supposed to do. When that happens that pair on the BEP block can no longer be used. If enough of them burn open and the loss of capacity becomes a problem you replace the BEP housing or block.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Have to ask, Paul. Have building fires increased due to non-protected terminals, or would the 'powers that be' even admit to such a fact?
Sorry, looks like I missed that question before. shocked

To be honest, I've not seen any statistics one way or the other on this. A much larger proportion of telephone wiring is underground now compared to the past, although we still have a lot of overhead in rural areas.

Britain tends to have much less severe and much less frequent thunderstorms than many parts of the United States as well, so in today's cost-cutting climate lightning protection has taken rather more of a back seat.

Also, while contact with HV power is possible in some places, our cabling arrangements tend to keep telephone well away from it. You'll find phone running below 240/415 or 240/480V local distribution cables, but never on the same poles with high voltage. When phone has to cross HV at an angle, it almost always dives underground for that short distance then comes back to poles on the other side.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That fusible link is what saves the building. Despite the fact that a maintained cross with power will effectively destroy the BET, it does it's job by having pairs that blow "open" to stop the direct metallic connection between the fault and the building.

Since the fusible link is either contained within the UL listed BET itself, or within the confines of a fire-retardant cable stub, what fails is a cable pair and any flame or spark is contained effectively.

Again, the fusible link is the proverbial (and intentional) weak link. It's understood that when it fails, the BET is shot. Lose a $1,000.00 BET, yet save a $1 million building, not to mention the potential personal injury or loss of life from a resulting fire. Remember, this cross with power can happen miles down the road, not just at the immediate premise.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Good practice is to splice in some riser tails into a splice closure mounted inside the building, then take that to your protectors, or you can get the protectors with the tails already terminated and do the same thing. I think the point of protection has been a little skewed, its not about fire protection, it is about electrical protection for your switches, routers, modem equipment, and last and not least the end user's safety. I have never heard of a building catching fire because pic flashed and burned. I have however seen first hand what happened to a lady in Texas whose protector was not installed properly (Not grounded) by the telco installer, the scenario was she was chatting to a neighbor in a storm...the rest i leave to your imagination!

Don't get all sweaty and lean on the block...it tingles a bit!
I did see that 1a2 key caused a fire in a Macdonald's. This was years ago and I didn't install it.

But my best guess is that a fuse was strapped on a lamp lead.

A good one and true story is about the telco guy who grounded the protector to a steal fence.

The owner would chain the dog to the fence and every time the phone rang the dog would bark. Go figure this one out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 135 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024