web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Just put self support cat 5 in google, you'll find several. The hardware you'll order along with the cable. Again don't put it up without protection, you'll be sorry. The fiber suggestion is even better, one way you'll need protection the other mux's (I would suppose not a fiber expert). So either way will not be cheap. If you just run cable it's going to cost a lot more in the long run.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have to reiterate what everyone else is saying...make sure the system is properly grounded and has the proper protection or you will be replacing a lot more then just the cable...think of it sort of like Ben Franklin with a kite string except everything connected to the cable is the key.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Definately go with fiber. In the long run, it's probably going to be cheaper. You can buy pre-terminated cables if you don't have the tools to do it yourself. You don't have to worry about lightning protection. A 24 strand fiber cable will give you some options down the road. That single Cat5 might be a bottle neck down the road. Switches with fiber ports and media converters really aren't that expensive.

Wireless is also a good option, especially if you can use a couple of panel antennas pointed out windows. If you don't have to put anything on the roof, you've made things much easier. Still, I think fiber is the best option. Do it once, do it right.

Originally posted by Skunny:
The span from building 2 building is like 30 feet.
For this distance, normal wireless will work. You probably won't even need a wireless bridge or external antennas. A wireless router and wireless card(s) on the receiving end will be the most economical and safest.

Under no circumstances would I ever fly a LAN across two buildings. You are just asking for trouble. It doesn't even require a direct hit, a nearby hit will generate enough static electricity in the line to cause damage.

The only lightening proof way is fiber.
Wireless outdoor antennas second (but as others have stated), I've seen these taken out as well.

KLD Offline
D) All the above

As a former OSP tech, I prefer fiber. Media converters are cheap. If you have to go overhead, they make a self-supporting inner duct just for that purpose. That way no need for fancy strands, cables, or grounding.

Wireless, at that distance, should work with about any normal wireless LAN. But if you want more, there are several good wireless systems that could do the trick and give you maximum speed and bandwidth.

Copper would be the last choice due to the conduit, overhead support, grounding, protection, et al.

Just my experience.

KLD.

Ken
---------
I agree with the fiber solution. smile

About a month ago I ran about 250' of Cat 5e aerial. They do not make a 4 pair cat 5e aerial cable with the support cable built in. :bang:

I had to order the Cat 5e cable. Then I had to pick up 1/4" aircraft steel stranded cable at the local hardware. I straped the cat 5e cable to the steel with UV rated cable ties. I then attached to the poles with 8" eyebolts and used Marconi clamps to secure the support cable to the eyebolts.

I wish they made Cat 5e with the support cable made into the jacket of the cable. That is what I am use to with aerial cat 3.

Does anyone know why this is? Does anyone kow of a source that does in fact make aerial Cat 5e with the support strand made into the jacket? :confused:

Thanks,

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
250' =76 meters only left you 24 meters for your lan unless you prety much went switch to switch.

I Imagine there isn't much call for the cat5 with strand as most folks would use fiber

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
I wish they made Cat 5e with the support cable made into the jacket of the cable
They don't because you shouldn't do it!

Understand that it does not even take lightening to cause trouble on the LAN system. Even a high static electricity level in the air can do damage.

Ed, we need you here!

Believe me I tried to go fiber, Customer (big with deep pockets) could'nt afford the extra $850 to go fiber. :rolleyes:

I protected with primary and secondary protection. I explained repeatedly if these pairs are ever damaged, it will all have to be done over again. He understands the risks, so it's off my shoulders. If he's payin for it, I will run whatever he wants.

laugh

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
well I wouldnt have offred the customer the option .

you want to connect bldg A to Bldg B , needs to be fiber heres the quote.

not here's the quote x for copper x +850 to go fiber

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,806 Shoretel
188,963 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 162 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024