web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
In the UK, buried cable without conduit is virtually unheard of. In some cases "Alkathene" or similar pipe is used. It's pretty cheap, and very tough, so it will generally prevent an enthusiatic gardener with a spade from doing damage. Often low cost 2" server ducts are used, or if the building contractor is thinking ahead, he will run in 4" pipes. (Not that expensive, and easy to add cables later, provided he had the wit to leave a draw-in rope!)
Even cables graded for outdoor use can easily get cut through if they are under tension and/or laid over sharp stones etc., so it's always worth a bit of added protection.

Life - it's not a rehearsal
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

HJB Offline
This seems like an old thread, but it looks to be revived.

Phone service can be supported over coax cable if your phone provider is your cable company (Cox, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.).

My house was new construction when I bought it last year and Qwest was supposed to come out and bury a cable from the box to my NID. They never did it, so I don't have any twisted-pair cable running to my house. Fortunately, I have my phone service through my cable provider (VoIP), so it is a non-issue.

However, I may have to "disclose" the fact that my house doesn't have this wire when it comes time for me to sell. It depends on what the local disclosure laws are here... still not sure.

Then again, I would think that Qwest would come out now and put the cable in if they ever hope to get any service from this household!

~Hans

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
I have my phone service through my cable provider (VoIP)

Actually I don't believe its VoIP at all but some other method of transporting data back to the headend switch (and I would know if I had the time to read the damn CATV industry mags I get). From there it then goes out to the telco CO via usual T1s, etc. Thats why it works. The cable plant just replaces the copper back to the phone company.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Same here with Cox Communications. It's not VOIP at all, just multiplexed on the coaxial cable. Now, services such as Vonage or Skype arrive over cable via VOIP, but that's a different animal.

HJB: You aren't under any obligation to have a telephone drop wire in-place. It's your right to not subscribe to the local telephone company for their service. If someone buys your home, they can order their service from Qwest and have the drop wire plowed in as a part of their minimum connection fee. I wouldn't sweat that at all.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
HJB Offline
Thanks for the clarification, hbiss & ev607797. I always assumed that it was VoIP since it runs through my cable modem.

I had SunRocket (VoIP company similar to Vonage) and it, too, went through my cable modem.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
Hans:

If it goes through your cable modem, then it actually is VOIP. The easiest way to tell is to see where the coax cable enters the building. If it connects to a gray network interface that allows the connection of existing phone wiring to it, then it's regular voice multiplexed over the cable. If something like this isn't present, and your modem or a router is required, then I would agree that it must be VOIP.

VOIP from the cable provider for dial tone is much more reliable than services that rely upon a connection via the public Internet.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 85 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024