Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
This may sound like a strange question. I received this question from a member at a sparky site and to be honest, I was a bit stumped. I had really never given it any thought.

In 1991, GTE took over the Contel operating area here in Virginia and in many other parts of the country. Even though GTE had it's own stadards for circuit marking, etc., they continued to use Contel's. Even today, with GTE now being Verizon, they still follow the same standards that were originally set by Contel.

Here's the way a typical pedestal or even a building entrance terminal is marked:

C6

My first guess was that the 312 might be a cable number; the C6 has some type of purpose as a facility identifier, and the 3082 is the cable length from the feed source. Since I live in one of these areas, I did a little experiment on my own and the "3082" does appear to follow my thought that it's a distance marking.

In Bell areas, Verizon continues to just mark pedestals with just the street address number and nothing else. Oh, and no, that "3082" is not my street address number.

Here's a picture of what I am describing. This is a pedestal in my front yard that was installed in 1991 when Contel was still there:

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

Anybody out there who might be able to shed some light on this question so that I can assist this guy?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline
Lead, by rotation, and cable number, and footage.

Contel 1979.

Ken
---------
Ed

Do your homes have street addresses ?

-TJ-
OP Offline
TJ:

Yes, mine is 7913 Wxxxxxx Maxxx Dxxxx, which is completely unrelated to the pedestal markings. There's also no relationship to building lot numbers when the neighborhood was built.

Contel's numbering scheme follows no geographical logic that I can see. Perhaps it's all just a record keeping process that's completely unrelated to the physical location.

Ken:

Tell me more!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Around here they just started marking the pedestals!
The one by my house says F25467H.
I was told that F means front. 25467 is the address and H is the start of the street name...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I believe that the first 3 digits are the remote or CO that the cable within the pedestal comes from.

In Manassas, VA 311 is apparently the CO, and 306,307,308 are all remotes.

The last 4 digits do seem to indicate footage.

By the way, Contel uses the exact same scheme on poles, even when they've got 5 cables on them.

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,792
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,128 Shoretel
188,989 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (James D., Toner, highlysecptial), 134 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024