web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Now if the contractors will really do it!

They have to. If the ground wire is not connected to it the EC gets a red tag. Red tag means no C of O. No C of O means the building isn't finished and the people can't move in.

Of course there were hotshot, know-it-all general contractors who said screw stubbing out the rebar so that the wire could be connected. They were made to dig down to the footing, jackhammer the concrete to expose the rebar so the EC could cadweld the wire to it.

There is justice.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I am getting ready to install Porta Systems model 525, 5-Pin Building entrance protectors on some Cat 6 lines that run between two buildings in PVC. Will use Reltec 5 pin gas modules in these.

Do I also need to have a secondary Linx protector in place in the lines?

Thanks

Porta Systems Model 525
5-Pin Building Entrance Protector

Tom
If that CAT6 is for data I'm not sure those Reltec modules are suitable nor is the block that holds them.

Is there flooded CAT6 for direct burial available?

If you are talking voice (and I would ask why the heck are you using CAT6) then a primary protector is necessary where the cable enters the building with a secondary protector near the equipment to be protected.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've never seen anything rated for use with a CAT6 circuit in a five-pin module. Protected building entrance terminals aren't rated for any "category". They are outside plant protector modules and have nothing to do with data cabling. We really are talking about two completely different industries.

Even more so, I have not seen anything above CAT5e with regard to cable. This might be an accident waiting to happen. Sounds like a job for fiber and a pair of transceivers.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The Cat 6 lines were put in during construction so we would be able to talk to each end as we worked installing fiber between the buildings.

It was installed just for voice, not data.

We now have fiber carrying both our data and voice. The voice connects our NEC switches.

Problem is, the fire alarm people needed a voice line, two in fact, that did not go through the switches so they grabbed some of the Cat 6 lines and hooked up their voice lines on them.

They did not install any protection on the lines and now we are to go back and do so.

Tom

Tom
Tom:

You will be fine with something as simple as a standard signal circuit protector or network interface device. No need to worry about the category rating or to spend the ridiculous amounts for the C5 units or higher. Just make sure that it's connected to a good grounding source.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Thanks Ed,

Have a couple of NID's on hand so that sounds like a good option.

Tom

Tom
Good Afternoon Gents,
Just recently started a splicing job.The customer was in a jam and I explained to him I could put wire together and get it to the right location but I didnt call myself a splicer. I want to do it right and have a few questions.
1)Cable is direct buried filled 100pr,25pr,6pr.
Theres a #4 bare copper coming up in the NIDS,Peds and the head end.What size ground wire should I be using for bonding and tying to these incoming grounds for respective sizes?Stranded or solid?
2) Hes asking to have cable and grounds tested according to ANSI/TIA/EIA 568-B, NEC 770, and IEEE 802 standard. Im not even sure this applies to OSP but if it does Im assuming I can do it with a cable certifier although Ive only ever certified inside cat5, 5e and 6. The head end is terminated on Porta systems with 110 term. and the far end (6pr) nids are on single pair protectors with binding posts. In my experience with splicers Ive had them talk out pairs to verify. By the way, this cable is for voice only, the high speed stuff is going on coax.
Thanks in advance for your help. Gene

Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
I was taught that you should NEVER ground both ends of a cable shield
Someone better tell the cable company that.

Use bullet bonds on your cables and bond them all to a the common ground bar, in the terminal. Then ground the terminal to your #4 with either #4 or #6 soft solid copper. To test your ground, go to a good ground source, as power ground and see that there are no more than 5 ohms difference, you really should see zero. Finally bond all grounds together. No you don't certify voice cable, simple continuity test are fine.

There are some pretty good OSP folks here and will correct anything I've missed.

Retired phone dude
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,314 CTX100 install
187,088 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, jkmartin, KRRath), 142 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024