web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
skip555 Offline OP
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
A customer of mine just had some lines installed for a new store

Verizon brought a 6 pair DB cable in from the street through customer provided conduit and punched it down to a 66 block (one I left there for paging and misc but thats a another issue )

No ground or protection of any sort I questioned it and was told it wasn't needed since the cable was grounded at the pedestal on the street

is this correct practice , we have a number for a installation supervisor but I thought I would ask here first

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Wrong. Never in Florida. In some major metropolitan areas where there are high-rises, there are certain instances where lightning isn't much of a risk and therefore protection isn't installed.

I will say that some of the new NIDs that telcos are using have protection built into the blocks inside their compartment that is easy to overlook. They are disposable modules that are usually clear in color or at least have a clear cover.

DB cable should never be punched down directly on a block under any circumstances. IF the pedestal is directly outside the building, as in bolted to the wall, then pedestal-mounted protection will suffice (if it is really in there). Still, if that was the case, they wouldn't need to run direct-burial cable.

I think that you are correct in smelling a rat on this one.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Yeah, I see them do that all the time when there is no ground available where they want to put the NID. They ground to the armor of the DB and bond the armor back at the pedestal. Apparently it complies with the "new Verizon practices".

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
no armor on this cable either at least not on the premise end

like I mentioned the Verizon tech came right up the middle of the backboard and hooked into a 66 block I had mounted as a misc block and off course the alarm guys have now tied in there . I guess they don't provide rj21xs now either :rolleyes:

The customer had the installers number and she left him a VM and he replied basically what Hal said and gave her a supervisor number she asked me to call the supervisor but I thought I would get some opinions here first

worse case I guess I can provide it but why should the customer pay me to do the telcos job

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
So then not only did the terminate the circuits improperly, they pulled aerial drop wire into an underground conduit. Unless the pedestal is directly-adjacent to the building (very popular in the south), and it includes protected blocks, which I'll be that it doesn't, this installation is wrong.

If they installed new service with no formal point of demarcation to permit the customer to safely and legally ( :rolleyes: ) test their lines, they are wrong. FCC Part 68 and the state's utility regulators make these rules. Verizon just manages to fly below the radar since nobody is actually enforcing the rules.

Putting the protection issue aside, all regulated telcos are required to provide a formal demarcation point. The fact that they have been getting away with simply tagging pairs for years is only because we have let it happen. We are just so happy that they got the lines installed at all that we simply look the other way. Skip, you are right to question this and I'm sure that a supervisor will understand exactly what is wrong.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Bill -

The customer is, and has been for a long time, on their own.

Years ago, maybe 2-3 years after the AT&T breakup I complained bitterly that NY Tel had (Badly) violated Bell System Practices - big time.

The answer I got was:

"There is no more Bell System. We are no longer required to maintain those practices."

The fact that they hadn't maintained those practices for years was moot. Now they just didn't give a @#&$!

If the customer wants it - they'll have to pay for it. Preferably, they'll pay you and not some lowball trunkslammer who's the Telco foreman's brother-in-law (another story).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I should take a picture of the telco wiring at the new office of the company I work for.
There is a nice 50 pair protector...that's where the nice part ends. Each 25 pair goes to a split 66 block. These cross connects to a 3rd block which I guess was an RJ21X but there is no cover...It has an amphenol on it, and a 25 pair tail from a 4th block plugs into it. The other side of this 4th block has a 25 pair cable feeding the data closet. Naturally hardly anything is labeled except the tags for our T1 circuits.
Gotta love it!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
We regularly place orders to move lines to new locations that have no facilities. Before Embarq would pull in a new DB Cable we will install a 4X8X3/4 sheet of plywood and have sparky run at least a number 6 ground. This is the norm for us here in Highlands County. They then install their BET (primary) and run a 21X outside of that. We will then extend it and use secondary protection on the Co's. As long as the customer knows they are paying for a backboard for Embarq and a ground from sparky all is good.

:toast:

Cosmo

Rick "Cosmo" Mercure
Tri Star Telecom
Sebring, FL http://www.tristartelecom.net

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,290 Shoretel
188,176 CTX100 install
187,019 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
dexman 4
teleco 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (JBean3329, C5Z), 93 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024