web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
HI! Again , quick question to the pros if the building electical goes to main water pipe and i am 120 ft. away from main ground, can i find a closer water pipe to run a # 6 gound for the circa protection?? Or do i have to run a large cooper wire to main ground in electrial room??The building trusses are not grounded. eek

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Drive an 8'x5/8" ground rod at the protector location. From the protectors and that ground rod run a #4 copper ground conductor back to the electrical room.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Well, I'm not sure of the Canadian Electrical Code requirements, but I'm fairly confident that they are similar to those in the US.

IF, (and I mean that you will need to confirm this) there is a 3/4" or larger copper cold water pipe that is not insulated by some form of joint or plastic piping, you will be OK. Don't forget to check for plastic water meter housings. This pipe will be a superior bonding connection to steel building framing anyway.

Otherwise, proper integrity over such a distance would require something more like a #2AWG bond to go all the way to the electric service ground. This would be necessary to overcome resistance due to distance. The proper water pipe will save you this trouble and expense.

Still, it concerns me that the metal framing members are not bonded to the electric, water and gas (if present) facilities. You might want to double-check that and if it truly is the case, you should advise the building owner of this deficiency.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Thanks guys,i did talk to the original electric contractor and he did confirm the the steel beam trusses are not grounded ,this is a 1 yr. old building, So if i can find cooper piping with no non conductor joints a can use this as the cheapest solution.?? Thanks

KLD Offline
Watch yourself if the building is not grounded or bonded....not even cathodic protection. You don't want to become the better ground.

Ken
---------
75% of the OSP enclosures and 90% of the data racks I see here are not grounded at all.

Trying to put together a 'grounding kit' right now so we have what we need on hand at any job, hopefully. Can't depend on, or wait for, a sparkie to provide a ground.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Noisycow -

Recognize that there are 2 kinds of grounding:

1 - for safety
2 - for performance

For safety related grounding refer to the NEC

For performance related grounding refer to the EIA/TIA 607 spec. Panduit also has a nice set of grounding equipment and practices for data centers and the like.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,437 Shoretel
188,294 CTX100 install
187,075 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 76 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024