web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#475088 06/27/11 10:20 AM
meTom Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer that has a 50 pair cable coming in from the street. A contractor accidently cut the cable. There are only three lines in use on the cable.
I thought that I coud identify the live trunks with my toner.
When I stripped back the insulation I found that the pairs were not twisted and the color code is completly different from anything I have seen.
My question is, is there an easy way to identify the live lines without stripping back each wire and going through the process of elimination?
That would take forever. Maybe some kind of tester like what electricians use for line voltage, the tester beeps when it senses voltage.

Thanks

Tom

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#475089 06/27/11 10:53 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
That cable belongs to the telephone company! Not on ly not your responsibility, it is off limits! The contractor should have called repair, he did it. NOW, you call the TELCO, rat out the contractor and get the cut fixed the correct, and might I add "LEGAL", way.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#475090 06/27/11 10:57 AM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Can you go to the BET and see what pairs are being used or tone back from there?

And is this the service providers cable or your customer?
Because if it belongs to the SP, you don't want to mess with it, but I doubt they would use non-standardized cable.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#475091 06/27/11 10:59 AM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Sorry, I was typing while John was posting.
Good advise John. :thumb:

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#475092 06/27/11 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
That cable belongs to the telephone company! Not on ly not your responsibility, it is off limits! The contractor should have called repair, he did it. NOW, you call the TELCO, rat out the contractor and get the cut fixed the correct, and might I add "LEGAL", way.
And at the CONTRACTOR'S expense.

And charge the contractor for loss of business suffered.

#475093 06/27/11 12:15 PM
Online Content
Don't know the rules over in your neck of the woods, but you'd get in big trouble here for messing with a phone company cable. Guess he should have called for a locate and have been more careful around the cable.

Retired phone dude
#475094 06/27/11 12:24 PM
Recently at a job in Southern California, the general contractor asked me to move an entrance cable from one wall to the other. It would have required disconnecting the ground and "bullet" bond, disconnecting it from the protector, pulling back the cable, cutting off a piece of AT&T's conduit, and reinstalling it onto the protector. I told the general I would not do it and he would have to call AT&T. When the tech came out, he told the superintendent that messing with their cable is a violation and Homeland Security could be involved!!!!

#475095 06/27/11 01:39 PM
When I stripped back the insulation I found that the pairs were not twisted and the color code is completly different from anything I have seen.

Well yeah, after YOU stripped back the insulation. :scratch:

Don't be a typical electrician and think you can handle this. Like I always tell you guys- it's not your job!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#475096 06/27/11 02:04 PM
Hal, apparently it's not our job either...I would not mess with at&t's cable even though I am sure I could do a much better job lol

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#475097 06/27/11 05:29 PM
When I stripped back the insulation I found that the pairs were not twisted and the color code is completely different from anything I have seen. Is there an easy way to identify the live lines without stripping back each wire and going through the process of elimination?
I'll bet that the pairs are indeed twisted, otherwise it wouldn't work properly as a telephone cable. You probably have not exposed enough pairs to see the twists. Most telephone distribution cable is manufactured with very few twists per foot, to avoid adding unnecessary length (and therefore, more resistance and capacitance) to the pairs.

Do the wires have dots, stripes, etc? What are the color combinations that you see?

There are cables with odd-count, even-count, central office code, switchboard code, and other specialized codes. There are cables in which the pairs are all the same color.

We would love to see a photo of this non-standard cable. I have been working on cables for 45 years, and have yet to see one that I couldn't identify. Do you have the facilities to take a picture and post it here?

The short answer to your original question is "yes" there's a way to identify the pairs, but I suspect that you don't have the proper tools or experience to do it. As the other guys have correctly stated, it's not your job to fix it.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024