Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello,

I need someone to fix static on my 1A2 system in San Diego. We have 8 10 button sets.
Rich Essery 619-987-2193

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
The 1A2 phones have contacts on the back of the dial pad...you can clean them with emery paper which will take care of static 95 percent of the time.
Take plastic phone housing off...loosen dial pad screws look for 4 to 5 contacts and clean with emery paper. Put back together and let us know how it worked out.

never never use emery paper to clean contacts, use a heavy bond paper wiped across the contacts, that should do it unless the contacts are pitted, then you want to use what we called pouncing paper a very very fine pink abrasive.

RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
I've used fine emery paper for the last 40 years to clean contacts...worked every time and long as you blow out the ruminates you'll be fine. However what Jim said will also work, or you could use a burnishing tool if ya have one.

Yikes.

Misleading advice is worse than no advice at all.
The contacts are gold-plated and self-wiping. No abrasives allowed, please.

Do you expect a subscriber to open a KM10, remove the dial, and clean the contacts? If you do, I have a bridge for sale.

Why do you think that static is coming from the dials? And all at once? It would have to be coming from all of them, if the complaint is "static on a system."

That is the last place I would look for static. They need to have a trained repairperson analyze the problem, AFTER hearing exactly what the problem is.

Static on all phones?

On all lines?

Even the intercom?

Incoming calls?

Outgoing calls?

Both?

When you move the handset around?

Move the base around?

After a call has been established for a while?

Immediately?

When it rains?

Have you called the LEC?

Have you had the line(s) tested for metallic problems?

Have you unscrewed the transmitter cap, removed the transmitter unit(s) and listened for static?

and on and on and on...

I refrained from answering the OP immediately because any experienced repair tech knows better than to try to clear a trouble, over 3,000 miles away, using telegraphy...er...email...as a communications medium, discussing technical symptoms with an untrained customer. But since others have chimed in, my advice is "Look in the Yellow Pages for a repair company, who is proficient in basic telephone fault location and clearing, and conversant in analog systems."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

I just spoke to Rich.

He knows what a KSU is, what a KTU is, what the phones are and what the phone parts are called.

He had a repairman from the LEC out, and he said that Rich has a high resistant S/C on the line in question.

He has intermittent static on line 1 (only) on all phones.

He sees the lamps for line 1 go on occasionally when no one is using the phones.

His amphenols are sitting on the floor, unprotected.

He has a single line cordless wired ahead of the KSU.

My diagnosis: a cross between T&R of line 1 and the A leads of line 1 in a corroded amphenol.

My advice: He will unplug all amphenols, and remove the hoods, too. He will spray contact cleaner on all contacts of the plugs and connectors. He will inspect the contacts of all RJ11's wired on line 1. He will remove the faceplates and housings of all phones and lubricate the ABR linkages and HOLD buttons, to ensure complete mechanical disconnection of circuits on idle phones.

As a precaution, against all odds, he will swap the 400 cards of line 1 and line 5, temporarily, to eliminate the possibilty that the cross is in the line card.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Thanks, you saved me a crazy service call.

RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
We've also emailed each other a few times after our original posts..So he knows it's not the contacts on the phones..He stated it was on line 1, on all phones..and I suggest he swap line cards and see if the problem follows the card. Haven't heard back nor was there any mention about cables laying on the floor, which isn't good either. Glad you got it handled Art.
Looking for a 1A2 repairman in the Yellow pages might be a tougher job than trying to shoot the problem himself...But with more of the picture on the table...he would be better off if he can find a repairman come in.
But your correct, that does come off as incorrect advice, Maybe I should have mentioned after we got further into it we were past the cleaning dial pads. Thats my fault.
Art...next time answer sooner so I don't have to pull out my emery paper...I'll use it :shhh:

Well I guess I just wasted the last 52 years of my life working on this stuff. I should have been a doctor like my mom wanted or a lawyer like my dad wanted, instead I became a dinosaur old crabby telephoneman.

Rich aka "goldenstate",

Did you get your static trouble resolved? If not, feel free to call or e-mail us!

Good luck!

COMTEK Technologies, Inc.â„¢
Information Technologies Integratorsâ„¢
Celebrating 37+ Years Serving California & The Western United States!
(619) 266-1000 • (800) 525-7100

an interCONNECT-ITâ„¢ company
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,330 Shoretel
188,997 CTX100 install
187,389 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024