web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I am not sure if it is a viable option for you, but we are of similar size, although our phone usage is a little higher, and we have a partial T1. Our phones and data come in together from a CLEC. The only downside that we have seen is that our data speed slows down a bit when our phone lines are all in use, but that is not a significant problem. I have also been told that this is how the partial T1 is set up. We set it to make voice the priority in heavy usage situations. All of our services are on one bill and are a LOT lower than what you are paying, even with our data tied into the bill.
Last, we do also have one POTS for our alarm and as an emergency back-up in case the T1 fails. We did have to rely on this one line for one entire day once last year because our T1 went down.

I do have to say that we were lucky in that we have a very reputable and competent CLEC locally to buy this service from.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

jweaks Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh man... this business is complex. Sheeesh!

I'm getting proposals from a couple of CLECs, one cable company, and I'm still talking (trying at least) to Verizon.

I'm hoping for others to take an interest as well.

Any opinions on ITC/Deltacom?

I'm a little gun shy on the Vonage type services. I got burned by them on my home phone.

Verizon does have some alternatives, what I don't like about them is they have no field person, no rep in the whole area. I've got to call someone in 'timbuktu' just to talk about the account.

I bet if I was not a Verizon customer and I asked them to call me or come see me they would be right on it.

I'm confused about the PBX vs. Key System. I thought we had a PBX... oh... okay... I looked this up and I understand the difference now. Similar, but not quite the same.

So, Ed has a good point that I need to figure out. We have 5 lines total. One is the FAX/DSL which is definitely a POTS. The other four lines that go into the Toshiba-DK40 box are coming off the same block. They must be POTS too and I thought they were different... son of a gun.

I don't know if they are charging "trunk" rates. I think they are charging "business" rates, how ever they figure that at $39.50 x 5 = ~$200.

On a side note... we just invested some bucks in our voice mail system that attaches to the Toshiba so I doubt I could recommend anything that does away with our Key system. We're happy with the DK40 and the Voicemail.

HAL - I wish Verizon would help me out... they have told me three times that they do not have a bundle that would help us... here are their exact words:

"It is possible to have local, long distance and DSL on one bill. There are no packages available to get a discount for the three services."

Perhaps they have a bundle without the DSL? I don't know... they're not offering solutions, I have to hunt for it myself.

Oh joy.

jweaks

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
We are currently paying $995.00 for everything using a CLEC. This package includes a T1 (ISDN-PRI) giving us ten voice lines and thirteen 64K channels for data (832K). This package also includes 3,000 local calls, 4,000 long distance minutes, the channel bank, the data router, 40 direct-inward-dial (DID) numbers, web site hosting and e-mail hosting. It's kind of hard to beat and we use every bit of it.

We had separate accounts for each of these services through various providers and found that this package would actually save us over $250.00 per month. Of course, it took us two years to finally transition everything over to the single provider, so we really haven't started enjoying these savings until last Friday!

It's really important to do your homework on this one. Like Hal said, leave Verizon as a last resort (that's what we had to do with Verizon-Bell Atlantic; they wouldn't budge). I seem to recall that IDC/Deltacom is a pretty strong contender in the Triangle area, so definitely consider what they have to offer. Just remember that regardless of your provider, Verizon will always be a part of the equation because they deliver the service to your premised for the new provider.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
I've worked with ITC/Deltacom with a few clients. No big problems.

Verizon does have some alternatives, what I don't like about them is they have no field person, no rep in the whole area. I've got to call someone in 'timbuktu' just to talk about the account.

I wouldn't be put off by any of this. I have never seen a Verizon rep doing "house calls" even for large customers so it ain't you. Remember you have only 5 lines, that's a pretty small fish for them anyway.

Also, their call centers are scattered. You are routed to the next available agent and they could be next door or in the next state, luck of the draw.
We have Verizon offices in Valhalla which is about 2 miles away, I can walk there. Sometimes I get to talk with someone there, sometimes I get someone way out on Long Island (most often)and sometime it goes all the way to Buffalo. What difference does it make? They all have the same information.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
jweaks Offline OP
OP Offline
I hear you Hal. I'd stick with Verizon for my convienence if they would come through for me. They have offered to call me... we'll see... I'll give them a shot, but I'm doubtful.

I've got two CLECs and a one other company - ready, responsive, helpful and hungry for our business. Verizon is disinterested at this point.

Thanks,
jweaks

They have offered to call me... we'll see...

No offense and again no allegiance to Verizon but why would they call you? Sounds to me like you are more put off with the lack of "personalized service" than anything else.

For what you need to discuss (and 5 lines) you putting in a call to a customer service rep would be the way to handle this as long as you know what to talk about. From talking to us by now you should at least know what questions to ask.

Just remember that these other guys seem "ready, responsive, helpful and hungry" because they have something personally at stake like straight commissions and quotas that the Verizon reps do not. When it comes down to putting food on the table and not getting fired they will do anything and tell you anything to get your business. There is a reason these guys are in sales and it's not necessarily that they believe in the product or they want to get YOU the best deal.

Same as with Verizon, if you don't know the things to look for and what don't need and rely on the sales rep then you will make mistakes again.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
jweaks Offline OP
OP Offline
"No offense and again no allegiance to Verizon but why would they call you?"

Because we're their customer and we asked them too? Why should I have to figure out what packages and services they offer and then beg them for it? Does that not seem backwards?

I understand 'caveat emptor' and I'm doing my homework on what we need and don't need, but we're the customer. Why can't they be responsive to us?

The people I've talked to so far (at Verizon) don't seem to know their services any better than I do after looking at their website.

I'm giving them a shot, but they have to meet me at least halfway.

I believe in another week we'll have enough offers and enough information to make a good decision.

Thank you for the help... and everyone else too.

jweaks

Admin
Admin
Sorry to disillusion you but with 4 lines and a fax line you are below the radar screen for them. Your company is a commmodity buyer. Not in there profit scheme. If you got a call back it would be from accounting looking for past payment. They can't be responsive because they don't make anything from your account. frown

I'm from Wilson NC originally.. smile Now living in Texas.

[Linked Image]
jweaks Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I know we're small beans, but everyone universally agrees that we're being overcharged (maybe considerably overcharged) ...which means we can and will be getting these services very soon for less, which means the "excess" that my boss has been paying for quite some time has been going somewhere.

Either they have been making a profit from our accounts or they have not been overcharging us. I understand we're tiny, perhaps invisible, in their profit scheme, but what if every 5-line business told them goodbye? Would their screens light up then?

Sorry, this is starting to sound like a debate and it shouldn't. I'm pleased with all the info I get from this forum. I'm also looking forward for this to be over... it really shouldn't be this hard to get good phone service.

I've been to Wilson and Texas, like'em both. smile

You coastal, northern, central? I went camping in the Panhandle a couple years ago.. very different country than NC.

Thanks,
jweaks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,782
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,787 Shoretel
188,962 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 180 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024