Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
akaak Offline OP
OP Offline
That's amazing, to me. I would have imagined that ack/rts/cts etc would choke if everything had to be done with only one wire, not just slow down.

Did you go to a website which measures your throughput?

What do you mean by "private line data"?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

No I didn't check the speed. Private line data is a dedicated point to point, or multipoint 4 wire data circuit.

Retired phone dude
Heck you can run a phone line over barbed wire can't ya Justbill !

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
You bet and did. :thumb:

Retired phone dude
KLD Offline
DJ, I'll presume to answer that one ---- yes, until 1956 the local area had an independent that had magneto ringing --- and, unless you paid extra, you either talked via one side ground or the top strand of barbed wire ---- just don't leave the pasture gate open.

As for the topic :shrug:

If you can't talk on it, what do I know?

KLD wink

Ken
---------
Actually had a wire that went up and over gates. At least that's what I heard.

Retired phone dude
KLD Offline
Yeah, there was one down by the creek low water crossing north of Jarbalo. The farmer was complaining of a noisy line --- his field hand had attached the electric fence so it went over the gate. Guess keeping the cows in was more important than a phone call.

:shrug:

KLD wink

Ken
---------
akaak Offline OP
OP Offline
I had thought of the telegraph, but didn't think voice could be done, and really didn't think data could be done.
That's funny about the barbed wire phone, but I'll bet the barbed wire didn't have to contend with things like 23:54:23.817524 10.0.0.2.1072 > 10.0.0.1.5001: S 577076198:577076198(0) win 65535 flying back and forth, and resending if one sequence got messed up...
Thanks to everyone for enlightening me, I knew this was the place to find my answer.
Ak

Originally posted by KLD:
DJ, I'll presume to answer that one ---- yes, until 1956 the local area had an independent that had magneto ringing --- and, unless you paid extra, you either talked via one side ground or the top strand of barbed wire ---- just don't leave the pasture gate open.

Ken,
Actually had line to ground when I started working for the phone company. Out in the sticks were some lines we called "farm lines" owned by the farmers. This was open wire of course and in some cases one side and ground. Lots of times the farmers would run there service over barbed wire after an ice storm until they could pay the phone company to put it back together. Just thought I'd throw that little tid bit in there.
Bill

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
AK, maybe my two cents will help to clear the air. Rember that DSL is a signal, as in a TV channel. You know that you can lose certain channels with cable TV for any reason. It's very simmilar with DSL, since it is just a "channel" on the cable pair that brings in phone service.

The DSL signal is sent using the dedicated voice pairs in the cable. The pair is a metallic path from point A to point B. Since DSL is a signal and not really a circuit, as with the telephone line itself, it uses the copper pair as a private antenna so to speak. The DSL signal simply wiggles it's way to the premises over the cable pair.

If one side of the pair has a fault, it's still possible that the DSL can ride on half a pair. It's as if a water pipe's diameter got cut in half. Slower flow, but it still gets there.

Now, when voice works and DSL doesn't, that's strictly an issue with the head or terminal ends. If the voice circuit is good, then DSL amost has to work unles the distance is too far out.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,316 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 177 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024