web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
For those in the field or just see the the day2day repairs, is it some crazy conspiracy that lecs will drag their feet on 3rd party lines.

We have seen the lecs even do same day dispatch on basic *business class adsl2* circuits.

We just had a outage on one site *dedicated voice circuit*, and it literally took 30 hrs for a premise visit from the lec to determine it was a short on the co side. Ontop of that, even after the long $@@$@!)*!#($%@ delay, it took another 17hrs after their determination to restore the circuit.

SLAS or MTTR...I would assume that the underlying would/should have some sort of minimum MTTR on the local loop.

I'd love to hear from the pros who can shed some light if you guys have more seen similar instances..

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I find at&t (old SNET) and Verizon (old New England Telephone) tend to be OK when we open trouble tickets for DS0, DS1 and DS3 circuit problems.

Are they perfect? .... No .... Have there been problems? .... Yes .... but on the whole, they have been reasonably good.

I Love FEATURE 00
sph Offline
In my experience with Verizon in NYC, I'd say pingable is more right than wrong. Nothing that can be proven ofcourse, just a pattern of "coincidences", I'll just call it that. The explanations (when one is given) sound dubious.

From a LEC perspective I have seen the exact opposite for several years… Trouble tickets and Due Date turn ups often get first priority for CLEC’s over the LEC's customers.

IXC circuits where last mile is delivered by LEC’s… I have seen those get all FUBAR-ed but not because of some behind the scene conspiracy or anything. Seems a lot of IXC employees (and well, LEC employees too I’m sure) want to play the “blame game” before addressing the actual “repair.” HOURS or even days can be lost before any techs that can actually FIX the problem are brought in to the picture.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
In my area (Washington, DC metro), I don't see Verizon jumping through hoops for any customer. I will say that the CLECs have a bit larger "teeth" in getting problems resolved than a typical end-user.

From what I've seen, the CLECs are able to push service outage or installation issues because they buy "last mile" circuits from Verizon in bulk. Apparently, they feel that their purchasing volume places them at a higher priority level. I think that this is more of a situation where the CLEC just has more people to stay on top of things and escalate orders. The typical end user lacks the knowledge to realize that they should constantly be seeking updates. "It will be fixed tomorrow between 8 and 5" sounds somewhat resonable.

Far too often, a customer who deals directly with the LEC makes one phone call and assumes that the problem will be resolved without further intervention. Not so true these days in my neck of the woods. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease around here and it had better be very squeaky.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Where I am I believe Verizon gives their own customers better service. They don't like the CLECs so they put them on the back burner.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I will guarantee that in the greater Tampa Bay area Verizon categorized the copper on a scale. All CLEC's ride from the bottom up, and Verizon rides from the top down. The only exception is the areas with copper shortage.

I've seen many service problems relating to the last mile disappear once Verizon was made the carrier. I've told many customers that when they call a CLEC to ask what the copper looks like in their area. If the CLEC is honest and reports back that the area has a higher rate of incident then others that they might want to pay the extra dime and use Verizon. In some area's it was a night and day difference.

Add to that that Verizon isn't laying ANY new copper here because of FiOS and it just compounds the problem. The only new copper that gets put in the ground is to fix outages. Loosing a T1 or having it bounce 4-5 times a year is pretty common. It's gotten to the point where a bad pair is just jumped around to different circuits, even if the circuit is still in the same demarc as the one they were supposed to fix.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
My only recent experience with Verizon has been on my own residential lines.

Believe it or not, they've been excellent. I had a DSL problem two years ago (my speed dropped in half). After I called it in, for the hell of it I decided to try another modem. That fixed it. I called and cancelled the service call (scheduled for the next day). They called back and asked if they could please send a Tech to check the line because they were concerned!

The guy came on time, tested the line and was nice & polite. A perfect visit.

A few months ago I had FIOS installed, Same thing- the Installer came on time, looked over the job did an immaculate install, adjusted the order as to my request, tested everything thoroughly, all in all a perfect job.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
And then you sat down and had a beer with your old friend! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sad to say, VZ has not been able to fix my noise problems for two years, so I just live with it. We are too far out to get DSL, FiOS is not even in our neck of the woods yet and I hate Comcast, but what else can I do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,329 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024