Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#478195 10/18/09 02:59 PM
OP Offline
I have encountered a situation with many of my customers, and they all agree that something needs to be done about it.

With the almost universal use of cell phones and other wired phones that all accept CID, a customer who calls out on one of his auxiliary lines sends the CID for that particular line, which may or may not be the appropriate line on which to return the call.

Incoming calls therefore may come in on a line that does not have an answering machine or answering service (after hours application) or even on a fax line that the customer used as an expedient when all the voice lines were in use.

People using cell phones, in particular, just hit "reply" or whatever it's called, to return a missed call. This can be confusing at best, and may cause lost calls, at worst.

I need to know if there is any way to get a local service provider to send the CID of the main number on all trunks associated with that main number. While it is obviously not a good idea, and illegal, to allow a customer to spoof or fake a CID, it seems to me that with the proper authorization and bonafide credentials, an arrangement could be made with the provider to send the CID of the main listed number on any other line that the customer owns.

Does anyone know if this has ever been addressed in tariffs, or in any negotiations with a state public utility board? It seems like it could be great help to the industry in general if this were to be allowed.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#478196 10/18/09 03:05 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Arthur -

I believe it can be (and is) done on PRI spans, but I don't know of anyone who's doing it on Analog circuits.I could see it becoming a logistical nightmare with people adding and dropping lines and the caller ID info not being updated.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#478197 10/18/09 03:12 PM
OP Offline
Well, the administrative problems of disconnected numbers could be worked out easily, I think. Once a line is returned to the pool of unused numbers, its CID would default, through software, to its own number, ready to be reassigned to a new customer.

When a new number is added to an existing customer's account, the provider could simply give a choice to the customer if they want the new line to be identified with the MLN.

It would take a little getting used to, just like any other facet of the ever-changing wacky world of phones, but it wouldn't be an insurmountable problem, considering the benefits.

How do really big companies (without PRI) deal with the problem?

Arthur P. Bloom

#478198 10/18/09 03:42 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I agree it would be easy.

Easy if you or I ran the world. But the current day phone companies?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#478199 10/18/09 04:16 PM
OP Offline
I suppose in the case of my customer with one listed number and two aux numbers, I could enable CO VM with a recording, after 4 rings, that directs callers to hang up and call the main number, but some callers would find that to be a PITA, I'm sure.

Arthur P. Bloom

#478200 10/19/09 02:25 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
why not just add call forwarding to the "back lines " and forward them to the main number then put telco VM on the main number in case it's busy

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#478201 10/19/09 03:14 AM
I thought that was being done even on analog circuits as long as they were in a hunt group at the CO level. Always showing the BTN as the caller ID. Now with fax lines thats somewhat a different story. Usually they are not a part of the incoming line hunt group however some customers use a line-share device to be able to use the fax line to make voice calls. Being that the fax number isnt part of the incoming hunt group, it will show its own caller ID.

#478202 10/19/09 03:56 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I like the idea of using Call Forwarding on the lines. Of course, if they are primarily used by a fax or modem, then all bets are off.

I Love FEATURE 00
#478203 10/19/09 05:05 AM
In WI, old GTE areas give out the lead number of the hunt group. As a technician, I get the opposite problem when trying to troubleshoot lines. All lines give CID of the lead number.

#478204 10/19/09 08:42 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
In KS, at least, SWB TRUNK groups that are "Terminal" type hunt groups are like rickingb described. Same CID from all, with Terminals assigned to the published number. And as he says, a pain in the posterior to troubleshoot and/or turn over to telco when problem is theirs. On every hotel we took over, or when it became apparent that the labels were either inaccurate or just plain not there, we would request a relabel of the demarc and set a meet to do it. It just seemed easier if there were 2 working on it and I'm a firm believer in trying to maintain a good relationship with the outside plant guys. They tend to remember the folk(s) that help them out, as opposed to the ones that throw 'em under the bus when it's not their fault.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,331 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (milt rock), 135 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024