web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
With 22ga wire you aren't going to get very far trying to drive a speaker directly, even from your node or hub to a building. If you try to put a 70.7 volt system on it don't expect to use the remaining cable pairs for anything else because of the cross talk.

The problem with an IP based system is that you will have to come up with you own DSL system in order to put the ethernet on those cable runs. But, like I said talk to Valcom. The should have a solution, either IP based or conventional.

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel here, I'm sure this has already been done.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
jg, the problem here is that if you keep the audio level, on these building-to-building runs, low enough to prevent cross-talk To the phone conversations,2 things happen.
1. so low that you may not be able to boost it enough without excessive noise.
2. cross talk From phone conversations.
The paging signal Really needs to be in a separate cable. And all you really need is a 1 pair cable.
Hal, do you think he could get away with some 1 pr areail (sp) drop, direct buried. I don't see the jacket being a problem, but I wonder how it will fair in picking up noise from nearby AC, etc.
John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I don't know how well that would go over considering that new cable has just been installed. Somebody didn't do their homework here for sure. Best bet is to get it on what's there, question is the way to do it without spending a fortune.

2000 feet is doable for a balanced audio pair however there is the other factor of a run to speakers in each of the over 100 houses. Dunno, but I'm seeing a DSL/IP setup for each house.

Question for jeffgoza: is this some kind of senior/assisted living community since you mentioned houses? Do they have cable TV in each house?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I did an installation like this once and if my memory recalls correctly, We used a valcom V-2001A and then we used the V-1020C speaks and the V-1030C horns. We had to put a VP-624B power supply near each horn or speaker, But you may be able to use a VP-324 power supply. But I remember us trying to decide between a 70 volt system and a Valcom, and we went for the Valcom because all of their One-Way Speaker's and Horn's are Self-Amplified, so this worked pretty well. and i don't think that they ever complained about it, but i only worked for that company for about a year after the installation. Hope this helps.
smile

Thanks,
Daniel

But was the project like this with the distances, number of locations and wire topography?

I can't imagine an amplified speaker like that in a house hanging off a few thousand feet of UTP not making noise all the time.

-Hal

OP Offline
Hi ~

Actually we are a 24/7 care facility for folks with Mental Retardation. 500+ residents and over 1300 staff. We have a signaling system (tone only) that we home-built but need something - only in BIG emergencies - that can relay them a little more information.

I will contact Valcom and let them look at this!

Thanks,
Jeff

I think that's your best bet. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-Hal

Admin
Admin
I had a campus with just a few buildings I did something like this many years ago. I used a balanced output off a 6 watt amp and fed the pair. At each location I either had self amplified speakers or amplifier with several speakers. You need to have isolation transformers so prevent ground loops. If there is a problem with the line picking up noise then you could add a relay to short the line when there is no audio

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
If there is a problem with the line picking up noise then you could add a relay to short the line when there is no audio

But that would require an extra pair. With long line lengths you would want the amp at the speaker muted. I think even with a short at the other end the line will pick up noise. A coded squelch would be a better solution but then you get into custom designed and manufactured equipment since nobody makes such an animal.

-Hal

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,782
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,761 Shoretel
188,959 CTX100 install
187,197 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Coral Tech), 90 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024