web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Madlife Offline OP
OP Offline
I recent got a job at a start up company as a systems admin, and knew that I would be programming phones but did not expect to be getting involved with the loudspeaker system. I am not a telecom person so I need some help

We have a bogen PCM2000 loudspeaker system, and executives want to have a buzzer for shift changes, breaks, and lunches. Total of 15 per day. If we add a Talk-back-module we can get 8. So maybe 2 modules? still waiting on the vendor for that..

Since its a startup company they are very tight on money. I was researching if we could use a "Background Music" input to do this. We have electrical engineers on site that said they could rig a timer with a tone output if I can find a way to interface it with the loudspeaker.

Could this be an easier shortcut? I was looking at #2 on this link: https://www.bogen.com/support/drawings/pdfs/PCM2000_Bkgd_Music.pdf

and it looked like it would be pretty simple to wire our timer, and instead of putting it to a speaker, put it to the Background music source.

Sound about right?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
That sounds like it would work. Viking makes a timer/tone unit that would work for you.
CTG-1

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
The PCM2000 seems to have an input for sending a tone to designated speakers. Short EM/SC to GND at the appropriate time and a tone of your choice goes to the zone(s) of your choice.

The Viking CTG-1 will work for you as the time base, as it has 2 contact closures you could use to trigger the Bogen. But really any time clock that can be programmed for certain times of day with a contact closure will work.

The programming of the Bogen is done using a telephone you connect to it, or through your telephone system if the two are connected together.

All of the manuals for hookup and programming are online.

In a nutshell, it sounds like you can do this with existing equipment except for the time clock, which you could buy or as you have mentioned, have an on-site engineer build for you.

Madlife Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, guys. I was even looking at taking a audio out from a PC and wiring it in with a timed task more or less as a trial..

I'm not sure what you mean by a contact closure, but I have to go chase down our electrical guy.

The bogen is tied into our phone system. I need to skim through the manuals on how to program it.

Originally posted by Madlife:
Thanks, guys. I was even looking at taking a audio out from a PC and wiring it in with a timed task more or less as a trial..

I'm not sure what you mean by a contact closure, but I have to go chase down our electrical guy.

The bogen is tied into our phone system. I need to skim through the manuals on how to program it.
If you want to go down the software route then there are various free/paid for 'school bell' or 'church bell' ringing programmes that will play sound files at specific times/days. Having the capability for speech enables 'message of the day' to be broadcast to employees, eg health and safety reminders.
https://download.cnet.com/SchoolBell/3000-2350_4-10664966.html

A 'contact closure' is just a switch/relay as your paging system may need a push-to-talk switch operated.

If you don't know what a contact closure is your in over your head.

Admin
Admin
Originally posted by Jim Baldwin:
If you don't know what a contact closure is your in over your head.
Actually, since a CTG-1 is an audio device, contact closures are only for the override tones.

Wiring a CTG-1 is pretty straightforward and programming is fairly clear.

Carl

I second the CTG-1. I've used them in the past and they work well and are easy to program.

How do I physically connect the PCM2000 to the CTG-1?
I just want use the CTG-1 as the master clock sync device for the Bogen PCM2000/PCM-TIM.

I know this thread is old, but I am now faced with the same situation, only in a school setting. @Madlife, did you ever get this device to work? If so, how did you connect to the Bogen unit?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 94 guests, and 242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024