web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#484192 09/15/06 08:53 AM
My grandfather worked for western electric as a central office installer foreman. This was befor the stock market crash of 1929. Yes, everything was Western electric. Let's just say Western Electric was bell labs for history purpose. Now my granfather is screwed. His has to take his 5000 shares of western electric stack and cash them in to live on.

Those same sares today would be worth 10 million.

So, the guy is laid off like the rest of the people at that time.

What does he do.... Nothing until world war 2 starts... Ok he's got a chief radio operators license along with his Western Electric Backgound.

Who hires him?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#484193 09/15/06 09:59 AM
Ok, I give up. Old grand daddy really srewed around with radio and electricity. A german, by the last name of Lawrence Orne smuggled out of germany and lived in his house in Revere Ma. for about 2 years. They made things work. The government helped them and.....

#484194 09/15/06 10:02 AM
I think Automatic electric or maybe Leich electric.
sold out to SIEMENS AG

Lucent got involved somewhere on class 5 office.
There was a factory in Arizona.

Heck, I'm not real sure what the heck happen and guess dont care anymore.

I know 36 years ago i went to SATT (toll switch) school in Northlake. Il. (Automatic Electric.)
... and ...
got a ticket from one of Chicagos finest (crooks)
Said i could go down the office and pay cash for the fine.
You figure ?

-TJ-
#484195 09/15/06 10:18 AM
My dad also a instuctor for the class for the #5ESS. He did crkt board translation for the techs to undertand.
His dad also helped him before he died. Listen, for the past 3 day's I had to bitch at a t-1 carrier and tell them to change the CPC disconnect timing. Western Electric or who ever built the first none assisted 3 didgit dial code withoout operator intervention basically was a 700 type switch. Lucent is a stock ownership name with nothing to do with it.

#484196 09/15/06 12:34 PM
Lucent got involved somewhere on class 5 office.

No, the the government got involved somewhere on the #5ESS. In reality if you invested in Lucent or AT&T 20 years ago tell me what you have.(NOTHING)Whith a capital N.

You might have 6 or seven other spin off's but you still got shit. It's not IA2 about trivia. The system is called 1A screw.

#484197 09/22/06 02:34 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OP Offline
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
SS, is it me or are you a bitter old f--t like me? Maybe there needs to be an unedited, unsupervised thread on this site. Naw, it would wind up killing the whole web-site and I really do enjoy readin' and writin', and helpin' when I can.
John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484198 09/22/06 03:34 PM
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
Maybe there needs to be an unedited, unsupervised thread on this site
Theres a lot more we can get away with in the private forums that we can in the public ones.

#484199 09/24/06 09:13 AM
Sorry, I got a little carried away.

#484200 02/28/07 01:47 PM
While surfing the web, I happened across this site, and the Trivia Forum. Here’s my take on the issues discussed, but first some background. I started my 40 year telephony career in 1963 as a Western Electric Installer on #5 X-Bar (2 wire flat spring and wire spring), as well as #4 X-Bar (flat spring), and Step. In 1971 I went to work for Stromberg Carlson., as a #5 X-Bar installer, which SC was installing throughout the US in independent telcos. This was Northern Electric X-Bar, identical to the Western equipment, except its color – WE was gray while NE was green. I spent 32 years with SC, eventually retiring in 2003 as Manager of SW Development on the DCO.

Western Electric was the supply side of AT&T until the breakup of Bell. They became Lucent, with a separate stock offering. In November 2006, they merged with France’s Alcatel, with a new stock offering. It’s generally thought that WE only supplied switching equipment to Bell Operating Companies, however, they did sell to Rochester Telephone (an independent), and to New England Tell, which in some ways was considered an Independent.

Stromberg Carlson had a checkered history. When I started in 1971, they were owned by General Dynamics, and in fact I draw a GD pension because of that. The headquarters was located in Rochester , NY. For many years, their main telephony product was the X-Y switch, which was deployed in about half of all independent telephone companies in the US. This was a step by step design that operated in a horizontal shelf, unlike the vertical bread boxes of the Strowger switches produced by WE. SC developed the ESC electronic cross reed switch in the late 60’s early 70’s, and eventually the DCO, a fully digital switch. In 1977 SC moved its’ headquarters to Tampa, Florida, and all it’s manufacturing to Lake Mary, Florida. The DCO was the first class five digital switch to go into service in the US. This occurred on July 17, 1977, in Richmond Hill Ga., where I was the lead Installer on that project. In the 70’s SC also developed the DBX, a digital PBX product. It’s not generally known, but the DCO and DBX, while developed in parallel, were two completely different designs, especially in the switching matrix. In fact I can not recall any common parts, with possible exception of power supplies. Both designs did use DEC processors and Assembly Level software language, but used different processor types.

SC was sold to United Technologies in 1982, a marriage that lasted about one year. UTC was after the DBX product, but had no desire for the DCO. By this time the DCO was deployed in a number of independent telcos, in direct competition to Northern Electric’s (NORTEL) DMS equipment. SC’s customer base was almost exclusively the small independent telcos in the US, first with the X-Y, then ESC, and eventually the DCO. With a few exceptions, DCO’s were not purchased by United, Sprint, or GTE. Later when the smaller independents were being absorbed by the larger ones, a number of DCO sites were picked up by what became Verizon and others. A number of DCO’s were installed in Canada, and off shore, notably in American Samoa, Korea, and Guam. In the mid 80’s the DCO underwent Bellcore evaluation and was purchased by Bell Operating companies, notably Bell South.

For most of its 100 year history, SC supplied a full range of products to the telephone operating companies – not just switching systems - but operator systems, test gear, tools, cable, poles, and telephone sets. In the 80’s, SC sold their Charlottesville, Va. telephone manufacturing complex to COMDIAL. By then, SC’s major product was the DCO, including the Class Five switch, and a version designed as a MSTO for cellular networks, and as a Carrier Switch for the smaller long distant carriers.

In 1983 SC and its DCO was purchased by Plessey of England. They wanted access to the US market as they too had a digital switch called System X. Plessey failed to understand that US standards were completely different from European standards, and it would have required a major redesign of the System X, before it could be deployed in the US. In 1986 Plessey was bought by a consortium of the UK’s GPT and Siemens. In 1990, Siemens took full control of SC, and renamed the company Siemens – Stromberg Carlson. As with Plessey, Siemens wanted access to SC’s customer base so that they could deploy their digital switch, the EWSD. At least Siemens had done their homework, and the EWSD was compliant (almost) with US standards. However, a majority of the smaller SC customers refused to buy the EWSD, and insisted that they would only go with the DCO and it’s upgrades, or go with DMS switches. Thus Siemens marketed both the DCO and EWSD narrow band switches throughout the 90’s and early 00’s. With the advent of broadband and soft switches, the DCO was at last on the short end of the stick, as Siemens refused to redesign it for today’s telephony environment. Eventually the Stromberg Carlson name was dropped. In 2006, what was left of the core SC group consisting of a few DCO engineers and support personnel was sold to Genrand of Dallas Texas.

The above is only a small part of the total picture as far as SC is concerned, but those stories will have to wait till later.

#484201 02/28/07 04:22 PM
KLD Offline
Interesting, in deed. As a Certified (Certifiable?) DBX tech, I can attest to the rugged design of the equipment.

I also spent many years cleaning X-Y wipers. The Navy loved the X-Y as it did not need gravity ( a rolling ship---which way is "down"?).

Thanks for the memories.

Ken
---------
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,456 Shoretel
188,312 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 160 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024