web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I just bought what appears to be a less than complete 4A Speakerphone set and I'd like to know what I'm going to need to get this up and running in a single-line application. I had thought that the system would work with just about any phone, but now that it's turned up in the post and I've had a chance to inspect it (and read through other threads on this forum) I realize that it's not so simple.

What I've got:
108A loudspeaker
680AE controller
82B connecting block (with a KS-21149L-4 or KS21149L2 auto relay / ring cutoff module connected inside the block)

Oh yeah, I put a couple pictures of the gear here: alexanderbailey.com/phones

Judging by a post of Ed's from elsewhere, I'm missing a power supply. (2012 18 volt transformer?) Anything else?

I'm guessing that the 82B block is overkill for a single-line application, but that it'll still do the trick?

It seems that only certain phone models will work with the 4a speakerphone. Which ones? Did all of these models come with connectors which fit the SCSI-looking connectors inside the 82B, or might I be able to hard wire or more modest phone using U-clips into the 82B?

Thanks for your help!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I only did a few speakerphones on single line sets. According to the book you would need an 80a or 80b control unit to do it and a 223 adapter. Maybe Ed can find more detail on it. I'm not too sure you could do it without the old bell type network in the phone.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
A 223 adapter is required for connection to a single-line or 10/20 button set. The 82C adapter is only for use with 2565 sets. Any 18 volt AC power input can be used, so you aren't limited to the 2012 transformer.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Bill and Ed, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

So...judging by what you wrote and a couple of pictures I found ( here\'s one from stha ; here\'s one from an Ebay auction I had nothing to do with ), it seems that the 82B isn't going to do much of anything for me. I understand the 223x to be the cord which gets hard-wired into the phone and a female connector which accepts the males from the 108 and the 680, with the KS-21149L-4 sandwiched between those last two. Is that right? Oh, and the power supply somehow connects into the 223, though the Ebay pic doesn't show exactly how that's happening.

So I'm going to have to find the 223x and find an appropriate phone to hook it up to? Or am I mistaken and the trusty WE 500 on my desk actually does have all the connections on its block that the 4A needs?

So, the 223x adapter is a complete connecting block (to be used in place of my 82B) or is it just the female plug with a cord and lots of wires (which get hard-wired into an appropriate phone)?

Hanging on...

I was thinking you needed the 80B for a straight line set. Ed I'm over my head and don't have the correct manual, trying to remember this isn't working. I believe the connections and what's needed for a straight line set was in the Station Specialties Manual, which I don't have. Would you happen to have it? I could be all wet. I'll bet you have the answeres. (no pressure)

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Bill, I meant to follow up on the 80x control unit you mentioned, but forgot. You were talking about the 80a or 80b in place of the 680ae that I've got? I've been trawling Ebay for visual information, but in the couple of auctions I've seen for complete set ups (including phones), the controller always looks pretty much the same as my 680ae.

No it would be the 80B in place of the 223, but I don't have the right manuals to be sure. The 80B had relays in it to hold up connections and I think you needed it for a straight line phones. But don't rely on my aging memory, I'm sure someone will get you the right scoop.

Retired phone dude
I gave up on trying to get one of those speakerphones, the ebay buyers are crazy! What used to be thrown out is now super valuable, I can't figure it out. My solution was to use an Orator and a seperate amplified mic attatched to the 1a2 phone. Just rigged it up to T and R from the phone and it does the job. Would be nice to have the real thing but not at Ebay prices!

You can always tell when something is old if it says "Made in USA"
Bill, I have the Station Specialties manual; I will take a look in the morning. The 223 cord set allowed a pair to send the 18 VAC back out of the set to provide power to the 4A. In worst cases, we would just run the cord from the wall transformer into the set instead of sending 18VAC out from the KSU.

Ebay prices are inflated because the people who have them know how to list them. They do this so that you find them since they actually know what they have. What they have is a true collector's item. Charlie's Angels contributed dramatically to it's success and popularity.

What these are now is something that can be equated to antiques. They are worth more now than when they were plentiful. The laws of supply and demand prevail in this case.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Thanks Ed, we can always count on you. :thumb:

Retired phone dude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,290 Shoretel
188,176 CTX100 install
187,019 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024