Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Matt -

Put a butt set across the MOH output. If you've got Music there then look for it on pins 3&18 of line 1.

If you don't have it in those 2 places then you'll never get it.

Also - what kind of line card are you using. You'll need an ITT400E or Sanbar 4200 or WE 4200G or H. A 400D won't work. In order for the card to have MOH it needs little gold "fingers" on pins 3 &18 to make contact with the backplane. If you don't have those, the Music will never get through the card to the line.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Hi Sam -

I'll test it there, I've tried it across the tuner and got sound, but never tried the terminals.

It's a K403 MOH card, and a K400E line card. One thing I was wondering was if I have the K400E punched down properly or not. I'll PM you a link to the manual for this card, and perhaps you could have a look. I can't tell if jumper 2 should be F-H or H-H. Also there is a jumper on the K403, and I don't know how it should be set.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Sam and Aurthur, and anybody else with an opinion, question about punch down. In SWB territory, and pretty much everywhere else I've seen 'older' work, the pairs come in UNDER the clip and 'wrap up', as opposed to coming in OVER the clip and 'wrapping down', so to speak. I think I figured out why, it's easier to punch a group of pairs down going top to bottom on the block, if the pairs come in under and 'wrap up'. Yes, No, B/S? First time I saw it, I had already learned to come in on top and 'wrap down'. Confused the h-ll out of me when my pair colors were off half a pair, until I figured out what was happening!
And the cable color code 'ditty' is not as entertaining as the resistor color code. I learned 2 ways, Air Force: Biloxi Booze Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well. Other way: Bad Boys R-pe Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly. Oh yeah, Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, White. (And Silver, Gold) Or 0 thru 9
John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
I punched that way too when I first started. The reason I did it that way was I thought every lead should go between whatever you call the plastic "ears" that are labeled with the function of that row. If you punch from the top down, the first lead comes in over the top of the first plastic "ear", without another one above it.

When Ken came out, he saw it and called it (I think) "Factory punching".

I was taught to punch going down, so that's what I have always done, except on those cat 5 installs smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
That's why we call it a punch DOWN tool, not a punch UP tool.

Ha ha.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Yeah, a punch UP tool cuts the wire on top :p

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Add on. The dumbest, and hardest to deal with, was the one where the guy brought both leads in thru the same fan-split, w/bl up, bl/w down, etc! WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Said he thought it looked better and made more sense! You only had to turn the punch tool around for EVERY wire!
Matt, note that starting with the w/BL in the first 'slot' means the Sl/Vi winds up 'twisting in the wind' at the bottom of the block, rather than the W/Bl lying on the top of the block. D-mned if you do, D-mned if you don't! smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Just a thought, is it time to start Phase II yet? smile John C. (Not Garand)

All kidding aside, using the down method, place all the wires into the metal terminal notches where they will reside. Then, holding the unpunched wires in the tool-less hand, pull the group gently down and away from the block, as you punch the wires in order. The downward/outward pulling will aid the cutting operation, and clear the cut wire ends from the cutting area. You will wind up with a handful of cut ends, which are easy to dispose of. You should be able to do a block in just a couple of minutes this way.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,792
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,135 Shoretel
188,990 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 170 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024