web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#485545 08/10/08 11:45 PM
OP Offline
Hey all -

Recently I bought a lot of mixed K4XX cards https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150265249811&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005 - one of which is a K410A paging card. In the 601A docs I have, it instructs me to strap the card according to the instructions that came with it.

I probably don't need to tell 'ya there aren't any. Can anyone PM me with a link to the spec sheet for a K410?

One other question: After this, I'll have an interupter, 3 line cards (one of which is unused), a SAN/BAR MOH card, and an external melco intercom, and possibly will be moving away from the melco back to the intercom card that goes in the last slot of the KSU (And that should be .... fun. Actually if I recall, it was what got me introduced to y'all in the first place). Basically every slot will be filled, and the lot also included an add on card cage if I need it (not planning on using it).

Am I in any danger of overloading the power supply?

Thanks
Matt

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#485546 08/11/08 12:13 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I don't know, I had very little experience with the 601s. If it looks like you are starting to have a problem, the next-next project could be to replace the internal power supply with a larger external one (2012B sound right? Someone correct me please)

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#485547 08/11/08 03:13 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
No, the power supply is designed to support a fully-equipped system.

As for the 401A card, there really isn't any strapping to speak of except to connect AG and AB to pins 3 and 18 of the appropriate slot. Then, you just cross-connect T/R/A/LG and L to the appropriate line button from that slot's output.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#485548 08/11/08 03:15 AM
KLD Offline
Matt,

NO , but, well, depends on a few things. The internal ICM ringing may be the culprit IF you have a lot of sets.

There is no outside, larger power card for the ITT 601 that I am aware of. The original is a plug in card. Now, all that being said, if you had a 2012 power source, and the 601 docs, it ain't clean but you can strap more power in the back of the set. You can also strap another card slot in the back...but that is another day.

....and the additional card slots (external) were a 239?, if I remember correctly (or was it 259?).

Have a good week.

Ken
---------
#485549 08/11/08 04:46 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Guys!

Ed - the 601A Manual says - (pp. 34, sec 11.09) -

Refer to the instruction sheet packed with the 410A KTU and strap the KTU for Option W. If 18VAC is used for intercom signalling (I use 10v) strap the KTU for Option V. If 105 VAC is used for intercom signalling, strap the ktu for option U.

Looking at the card, there are 2 sets of jumpers, each with 2 possible positions.... I suppose that since I'm using the lowest voltage for signalling, and there are only 4 combinations of the 2 jumpers, I could "experiment". But that kinda scares me.

Also I noticed you said "401A" - did you mean 410A?

Anyway, it looks like I'll definately be going back to to trying to get the 401B KTU intercom card working, It seems to be integral to paging since I access paging by an intercom key. Either that or I guess a lot more strapping between the 66 blocks and the KSU, which I don't want to do. I like the Melco, but I like the thought of everything being in one box a bit more.

Funny this - I've got a phone every 10 feet, intercom, and paging.... and I live alone.

lol. I think I could find a lot worse ways to spend my time and money though.

Thanks for the power supply info Ken/Sam... I think if worst came to worst, I could probably beef up the existing one if I had to, it's a pretty straigtforward circuit... and I'm guessing the xformer could probably deal with the extra load... if only I could get a clear schematic for it. But I'm not overly worried, I think as Ed said, the PS was built to handle all this stuff. But I'm having serious second thoughts about shipping my spare off to Levi. Oh - one more thing, I get to build my own preamp circuit that goes between the KSU and the audio amp.... woo hoo!

First step in all this is to get the 401B working.

You all have a good week as well, I know I'm going to!!!

#485550 08/11/08 05:18 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Guys -

A couple of comments:

1) I believe the 410 (FOUR TEN) card was a Public Address Access card. You would assign an Intercom station to it and when you dialed that number the signalling burst (either 10v/18v or 105V) tripped the relay and gave you access to a PA system. There were contacts to mute music etc.

I don't think I have prints for it, but I'll look.

2) As I said in an earlier post you could beef up or replace the existing power supply with an external unit. They're for sale on ebay pretty regularly, but they're heavy - high shipping costs. Maybe someone on the board has one they want to get rid of. Personally I wouldn't change it unless I started having trouble. They built a lot of excess capacity into that old 1A2 stuff.

3) Ken, I don't think there was a 239, but there were 359 & 259 card cages. As I recall, the 359 was a single card unit and the 259 was a 2 card unit. They were designed to handle 20 pin cards (like the 414 manual ringdown etc..)that wouldn't fit in a standard 18 pin slot. They were also cheaper then adding a new 584 panel if you ran out of slots.

Someone please correct any errors. It's amazing how much I used to remember and how little I remember now.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#485551 08/11/08 05:50 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Sam!

You're exactly correct about the 410.

Step 1 is done, the C19 intercom is pulled. The backboard sure is getting sparse, what with pulling the valcom tuner in favor of a SAN/BAR card, and now the removal of the C19.... just the KSU and the 66 blocks are left.

Looks cleaner, but not as complex. But it does shift the focal point the 66 block cross connects, and of course the work Ken did to route the 25 pair cables in a perfect arc.

Ed, one way or another, we're going to get the intercom card you shipped me, or the one I had working..... so ... everyone ... hold on for the ride (pretty please)?

#485552 08/11/08 06:06 AM
Sorry, Matt. I did mean the 401. Dyslexia must be kicking in on me. Sam, you are correct about the expansion panels (359 and 259). Matt, don't forget that these require a mounting frame. They can't just be mounted to the wall; they were designed for rack mounting only.

Oh, and the 2012B is just a wall wart transformer for dial lights or other misc. 6-8 volt AC needs. Regardless, due to the modular design of the 601 KSU, it would be very difficult to connect an external power supply to it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#485553 08/11/08 07:13 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by EV607797:
Sorry, Matt. I did mean the 401. Dyslexia must be kicking in on me.
Looks like the dyslexia is hanging around for a spell, Ed.

Here's where we are at:

I took an old amp. connector and made all connections straight to the KSU.

The good news:

1. The talk path is completely clean, which I seem to remember was a problem in the last iteration of this excercise.

2. The IC (line 5) light lights!

The somewhat good news:

1. I can hear the relays click with each button press.

The bad news: I was only able to get a buzzer to work on signal pin 0, and then only about every 8 pushes of "0".

The bizzare news: I tried random signal out pins (0 (worked occasionally), 3, 4 and 9). No buzz. But, hooking a voltmeter between AG and the signal pin consistently displayed around 11vac. The bizzare thing: It stayed at that voltage till I pressed another key. Maybe the card needs the buzzer to drain down a capacitor or something, just guessing.

So, I've got my voltage, but it apparently doesn't have enough amperage to buzz the buzzer. Is there even a remote chance that ITT required a special, low current buzzer with this card?

Open to any and all ideas...

Thx
Matt

#485554 08/11/08 07:34 AM
No, the buzzers are all the same. The intercom card is nothing but a matrix of relay contacts and it sounds as if one of them is pitted. All it takes is one to mess up the matrix. Unfortunately, those relays are nearly inaccessible, so cleaning the contacts probably won't be an option.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 108 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024