web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Cat 6 -

Originally the KSU was an empty box that held a slew of relays that were field installed and hand wired together by the Installer. Later iterations offered prewired relay packages (grouped by line). Still later, the relays were miniaturized and put on circuit boards. That's what you're going to see. All current KSUs have their origins with this equipment. It was the gold standard for Telephones for a generation (or three - depending how you count).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
SilverSam,

From what I gather, the KSU doesn't sound all that different from a PBX, except that the PBX will contain all printed circuit boards instead of KTU cards. So the PBX is kind of the digital offspring of the KSU.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
A bit simplistic, but not too far off the mark. That's a good way to make a comparison. The carcass itself doesn't do much but to provide slots and power to the cards. It is the cards and their connections that make things happen.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Cat 6 -

A KSU is a Key Service Unit. It services Key (multi button) Telephones, which usually pick up all, or many of the same telephone lines. There is no switching capability within a KSU.

A PBX is a switchboard (Private Branch eXchange). The original PBXs were cord (plug) boards where the switching was done by the operator. Later machines were PABXs (Private AUTOMATIC Branch eXchange) where the switching was automatic. Early models were mechanical, later they were electronic, recently they became digital.

In short a KSU allows many phones to access the same line or lines and share them. A PBX will bring both outside lines (trunks) and telephone extensions (sets) in and allow the connection between the two via a switching matrix.

I don't think I explained this terribly well. If I didn't, please advise me and I'll try to do better tomorrow, when I'm not so tired.

Sam

KLD Offline
Sam, on point. Ed, egg-zac-lly.

Sam, if you did it any better you should be named Professor Sam.

Ken
---------
Maybe we should promote him to GoldenSam.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
That was a great explanation SS. Thanks! I know all about switches. In the world of networking we deal with them all the time.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Cat 6 -

You're welcome.

I teach a class on switching for the IBEW. It's a 3 part class - Voice, Data & VOIP.

Voice starts with mechanical switches (Stepper & Crossbar), goes to electronic and then to digital.

Data starts with Hubs and then goes to Bridges, Switches & Routers.

VOIP shows the convergence.

Sam

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
So she's up and running! smile I love the clicking sound coming from the KSU when a call is coming in! Plus the lamp flashing on the KSU is also a hoot!

Two problems though. I have a lot of noise on line 2, and line 2 does not ring when called, although lamp does wink.

I'll post pics once it's nice and pretty and all.

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll try twisting the pairs more thoroughly. Maybe it'll get rid of some of the noise on line 2.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 109 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024