web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi Ed, Bill,

Much thanks for your comments -- I've watched this board for the last few years, and I know you guys are the experts -- I'll make corrections.

Ed: Fixed, I think. I've corrected the T1/R1 stuff to use more precise references to the BSP signal names.

The Com Key manual's table is a little confusing to the layman; it shows 1+26 as "T(1)" and "R(1)", and pins 49+24 are "T1" and "R1". My table omitted the parens because they seemed to be used inconsistently (some had parens, "T(#)", and some didn't, "CA#").

Looking closely, it seems the parens were used only on the 1A2 style names (T/R/A/L), but not for the new "Com Key specific" names (CA#,DSS#). So I take it this was some sort of subtle visual clue.

I've tried to make this clearer by adding a footnote to my table. I should probably also include a scan of the original BSP table, as my table was re-arranged in the connector's pin order (my preference) whereas the BSP manual shows them in the 66block order. Thanks for the clarification!

Bill:

(1) Oops, I did seem to have the wrong description for my illustration; that should be a 981, not a 28xx. Fixed.

But regarding there being no 8xx/28xx's in 416 systems, are you sure? Maybe I'm missing something; that seems to disagree with BSP 518-450-105 (entitled 4A COMMUNICATION SYSTEM/COMKEY 416) which shows 2836 and 837 phones as being 416 sets:
https://seriss.com/people/erco/comkey416/comkey-8xx.jpg
https://seriss.com/people/erco/comkey416/comkey-28xx.jpg

From what I gather between 518-450-105 (which covers 8xx/28xx) and 518-450-106 (which covers 9xx/29xx), the two are both 416 systems and compatible; one notable difference being the lamp field; the 8xx/28xx have the lamps "in" the buttons, and the 9xx/29xx have the more common config of the lamps along the left edge of the line buttons. But both are KSU-less and according to the BSP's, compatible with each other.

I do want to get this right, so thought I'd better double check. Am I wrong on this?

(2) Yes, I'll adjust those references to RJ21, which is I guess an ethernet standard that came a long later.

But I have to say, if you're searching for these connectors and cables, searching for RJ21 seems to yield the best results from parts distributors, that all describe them as RJ21 (probably because thats what most of their customers are using them for these days).

So I guess RJ21 being back compatible with the phone company wiring is a plus for those of us still working with old business phones!

I originally had references to AMP type; when I worked for a 1A2 phone vendor in the early 80's (V-Band Systems in NYC) as a draftsman, our wiring diagrams referred to these as "Amphenol type" connectors which I think is consistent with the BSP terminology.

I'll always remember my boss, Leonid, who with his thick russian accent, had a strange way of pronouncing "Amphenol", it was more like "ArrmffeegnooOoolll", his tongue really twisted around those syllables. Good old Leon.. where is he now. Was a fun guy, designed phones out of thick steel, so the stock brokers we sold them to could beat on them with the receivers without breaking them. (NYC stock brokers were always pretty stressed out guys)

I recall there were other vendors for these connectors besides AMP; ITT and a few others I can't recall now. Leon and a few other guys in drafting would have heated debates about which vendor had the better connector; some used thick plastics (phenolics?), some thin, some metal, some had bad tolerances causing them to fit loosely or wear out quickly.

Would it be correct to call these "25 pair Amphenol-type" connectors as phone company parlance, and to indicate if one were searching today for these connectors/cables, one would have better luck searching for "RJ21"? I take it RJ21 basically embraced the phone company's wiring standard.

(3) Right, I'd agree.

I was thinking of doing a circuit analysis of the Com Key phones.. are there actual schematics for these? ie. not just block diagrams, but actual circuit diagrams showing resistor values?

I figure a schematic would be useful for fixing old phones (for those of us that wire them wrong!) and to see what design techniques were used. It'd be a challenge though, as there are some unknowns, like those custom WE chips on the logic board. My guess is they /might/ have pin compatible commercial equivalents, but it's hard to know.. might have to guess on those.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Greg, I can already tell that you are going to blend in well around here.

You are absolutely correct about the 83X/283X nomenclature. I have absolutely no explanation as to why they underwent such a dramatic change except perhaps to avoid conflicts with ITT and S/C set designs with similar numbering that were beginning to infringe upon each other. Who knows?

I also concede that my continuing efforts to right the world's wrongs with regard to RJ21 or RJ45 misnomers are fading fast. The IT cancer has taken over our industry.

There were so many custom WE components, all the way down to resistors. I've never seen a true schematic for their assemblies, but it is obvious that they must exist (or have existed). They claim that just about anything ever made by AT&T/Lucent/Avaya has documentation available on their web site. It might be worth taking a look. They appear to be fairly liberal about sharing what others would deem to be proprietary.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I wasn't going to say a word about the RJ reference. 50pin Amphenol connectors were around long before they came up with Registered Jacks. I knew Ed would set it straight.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Ed, thanks! Yes, computers have found their way into everything; phones, video/film production, typesetting.. nothing can stop it, it seems.

You're right about Lucent at one time being quite open about old 1A2 stuff.. not to be too pesimistic, but those days might be gone; I recall doing some heavy 1A2 related searches, and encountered many links pointing to Lucent's website for 1A2 data, but all those links were dead.

Seems like around 2004/2005 those links were active.

A quick prodding of the search feature at support.avaya.com only yielded "end of maintenance" letters dated 2006 for Com Key and 1A2 searches.

Might have to dig deeper. If anyone has leads, do tell.

But I can't get this feeling out of my head that either now, or years ago, some manager at Lucent/Avaya inherited a room full of yellowing schematics all hopping with silverfish, and decided "Out of maintenance? Out of this office!", and I envision a guy in a back parking lot at Lucent with his white sleeves rolled up, an empty gas can, and a metal drum full of burning papers, and a column of smoke reaching to the sky.. (shudder)

Hope I'm wrong on that..!

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I might (emphasize MIGHT), have a Comkey book in the dreaded basement. As I never really worked on them more then 2 or 3 times I don't remember the last time I even saw the manual.

But I'll look. Maybe it's got something in there.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, I checked. All I was able to find was the Key System Services Manual Vol. III. It's got the block diagram, but not a "real" schematic. (BSP 518-450-105)

Sorry.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thank you Sam for checking!

Yes, I figured what you had is the '105 document from vol.3.. when folks refer to the Com Key "manual", that seems to always come up.

I guess what I'm looking for is probably an internal document to WECO, which would be a schematic the likes of which would never be used in the field, but more for parts replacement/repair.

Thing is, the schematics for things like the 400D line cards abound and the 1A2 phones abound.

One possible avenue I haven't checked is the USPTO; it's possible the Com Key schematics might be documented there.. though Com Key is more of a complete system.. I'm not sure they'd cover the whole circuit, as that would cover too many details.

Certainly I've found a wide variety of line card schematics there. A year or so I had a wild hair to build a circuit board from scratch that would the job of an entire KSU; hold, ring gen, even intercom and music on hold. All relatively straight forward stuff from an EE point of view, esp. with the help of modern chips (and by "modern", I mean 1980's tech)

While studying 400D card variations (WECO, ITT), and studying the variety of patents (including my old boss's), I came across this one 1A2 line card design that really impressed me with its simplicity; patent #4093830; their use of optocouplers with bidirectional LEDs inserted directly into the POTS line was an amazing approach.

I even built the circuit just to see if it works, because there were so few components.. and it did! I had a 1A2 phone doing hold/ring on two lines without a KSU. (Had to make up the ring and lamp winking stuff, but that was trivial).

I'll try posting my final schematic; some of you guys (or your audience) might be EEs who like this kind of stuff. If I do, I'll open a separate thread, as that's off the Com Key topic.

The big thing that blew my mind about that patent was the brazen use of optocouplers with back-to-back LEDs directly in series with the POTS line, no other circuitry to interface the LEDs into the line -- literally, in series between the phone and CO. I was amazed the LEDs did not affect the voice frequency stuff, handled ring voltages and the 48VDC all perfectly.

It's a great way to do ring detect and hook state sensing. Plus, the logic of the circuit with their use of transistors is very clever, using very few relays that are /not/ specialty items. (WECO used some very custom relays where the coils were used as part of the line state detection.. hard to come by).

This circuit was the best I'd seen, from a simplicity point of view. Seemed a circuit even novices good build/understand.

A good way to view the patents is through google's patent search:
https://www.google.com/patents/down...p;sig=ACfU3U2mkG6jbom87KrBrjprYwojUvVDBA

(I find it better than the USPTO's website; I have a lot of trouble with USPTO's image viewing.. for some reason their image viewer is really funky on non-windows systems like linux and mac).

Does anyone remember the similar phones made by Amtron? They predated the WE ComKey 416's and the WE were copies of them. I assume that WE bought the licensing and rights to make them from Amtron, although I have never been able to find any evidence of this, not can I find any mention of them in the search places.

Maybe looking for patents issued to the Amtron company would yield something interesting.

I saw one installation of the Amtron sets, and the only difference in operation was actually an improvement over the way WE did theirs: When pressing an intercom DSS key, the Amtron called station emitted a zip tone, then cut through the voice from the calling station. The tone could be transmitted repeatedly, by re-pressing the DSS key.

This feature allowed the customer to use the system as a sort of "button & buzzer" operation, in case there was a task that someone needed to do, by pre-arrangment, instead of having to listen to a voice message.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Arthur:

I don't remember those, but I remember 1A2 sets that looked identical to ComKey 416 sets that were made by TPI (TelePath Industries in Roanoke, VA). I believe that they were associated with Valcom as some point.

They did not have the DSS key field, but otherwise, they looked identical. Perhaps more similar to a MET. The dial had speed dialing functions, as well as redial.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Yes, Ed, I certainly do remember those, or ones very similar. During my many years enslaved by Mother Bell, I often sinned and did some outside work.

Xtel also made something similar. The ones I remember were called the "Perfect Ten" series, and they looked nice, and were easy to install. However, they became known as the "Perfect Disaster" phones after a few months in service.

Their only downfall was the fact that the 10-button key was hard-wired (!!!) into the phone, instead of being on a plug or connector arrangement. What a nightmare! When a key failed (and they did) you had to replace the whole phone.

The reason they failed was that instead of using a decent quality phosphor-bronze release tab on the Hold key linkage, they used el-cheapo plastic, which wore out and could not be replaced.

They took a nice aesthetic design, and ignored the Bell state-of-the-art in the internal stuff.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024