web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486808 07/07/09 01:54 AM
OP Offline
Hey all -

I thought I'd start another thread rather than continuing to hijack Jeff's: Jeff\'s thread

AT&T isn't here yet, but I noticed the router indicated the lines were provisioned. Checked for dial tone out of it, checked OK. So then I called my POTS lines - 1A2 and SLT's function just fine, and the 1A2 even releases any lines on hold if the caller hangs up.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case any other 1A2'ers are in a similar situation.

PS:

As noted in Jeff's thread, and as per Ed's comments - you'll need 400E line cards or later.

Thanks much -
Matt

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#486809 07/07/09 07:35 AM
OP Offline
One correction:

Ed was right ... again ....

The line is not released if a caller on hold hangs up. I was half asleep when I did the test, and didn't think about the fact I was calling POTS from VoIP. Still not a big deal though, kinda hard to miss the line on hold lamp flashing.

#486810 07/07/09 08:34 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Unfortunately, since UVerse and similar services such as Verizon's FiOS target the residential market, their networks aren't designed to provide business-grade functionality. One of the most notable absent features is disconnect supervision.

I don't know if their hardware can be modified to provide this (I think it can be), but the larger obstacle will be getting them to understand what you are seeking. It also doesn't matter which version of line card you are using above "D". If the disconnect signal isn't being sent, no line card is going to know any better than to keep the abandoned call on hold.

In your case, this is no big deal, but many small businesses are gravitating to these less-expensive service offerings without doing their homework. Even a tiny insurance office with a modern key system will be at a disadvantage when all of their voice mail ports are locked-up due to a few overnight calls that are abandoned. That can be a huge problem.

These service providers expect that their typical customer will just be using single- or two-line phones. For this reason, they don't spend any time or energy in making their "lines" compatible with all equipment. That is how their prices are kept so low. This is another example as to why that magic "VoIP" buzz word isn't for everybody.

Yet another case of the proverbial "you get what you pay for". Matt, I agree that a flashing hold lamp is your own fault for forgetting to take a call back from hold. If an auto attendant or internal voice mail system was involved, this would be a huge problem. The New at&t is taking the gamble and assuming that everyone uses WalMart* retail-level phones.

Truth be known, they really aren't doing anything wrong. These services fall under the category of "optional utilities", such as CATV. They don't have to follow FCC and state-level guidelines for delivery of service, since they aren't technically a regulated telco. Just like Vonage, Magic Jack and cable TV dial tone providers. This is why so many telcos are jumping on this bandwagon, since their antics aren't under the scrutiny of utility regulations.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#486811 07/07/09 09:24 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ed/Matt -

I just tested my FIOS/1A2 system here. Called in from a cell phone to the FIOS line. Put it on hold & let it sit a minute. Hung up the cell and the line dropped off immediately. Tried it 2x to verify.

Go figure. NY Tel doing it right.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#486812 07/07/09 04:09 PM
OP Offline
Good points Ed - this is all great stuff to know...... !

Sam -

I'm guessing the answer is no, but do rotary phones work with your FIOS?

I have one rotary phone in the kitchen which is now defunct frown

I'm debating whether to replace it or buy a rotary to DTMF converter.

Other than that, I'd say I'm pretty well pleased. The ability to listen to voice mail on my PC is pretty cool, and I really like one feature - I can list all phone calls that came in during the day on my TV, select one, my home phone rings, and then when I pick up it dials the number that originally called me. I know, I know, standard stuff any answering machine could do, but something about my TV making the phone ring makes me laugh. For somebody that has been swearing off new technology for years... I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

#486813 07/08/09 02:14 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by Matt1964:

I'm guessing the answer is no, but do rotary phones work with your FIOS?

I have one rotary phone in the kitchen which is now defunct frown

I'm debating whether to replace it or buy a rotary to DTMF converter.

Matt -

I don't know. I'll have to check and I think I'll have to use a butt set. I don't think I have a rotary set laying around anymore. :shrug:

Sam

#486814 07/08/09 10:21 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Matt -

Rotary works.

You may have some trouble finding Pulse to Tone Converters. I seem to remember only Tone to Pulse. It would be a whole lot easier to get a new set. I may have a decent one - I'll go look.

Sam

#486815 07/08/09 01:20 PM
OP Offline
Well, that's good news about your rotary anyway. AT&T specifically states rotaries won't work with Uverse....

Here's what I found on rotary to DTMF, web page says it's specificlly designed for VoIP:

Rotary to DTMF

The only thing I wonder about is will I hear click click click click BEEP..... or just BEEP after the dial returns home. If so, it just seems kinda cheesy.

On the other hand, I do like having a rotary in the kitchen, if for no other reason than the confused dog look I get when having guests in the < 20 - 25 year age bracket: you mean... really..... this is a telephone? And... I have to ... actually turn this thing to call someone????

Mainly I like it though cause it's the same model we had in the kitchen when I was growing up.

#486816 07/08/09 02:33 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Matt -

It doesn't look like a bad little unit, and it's not a fortune (I remember Tone to Pulse in the $250 range 35 years ago!).

If you like the idea of that rotary set in the kitchen - go for it!

Sam

#486817 07/08/09 02:48 PM
OP Offline
Yep.... ! I agree.

Will let ya know how it works out. More than likely I'll be posting with questions on how to hook the little bugger up.

Thanks!

PS:

Looked at the install guide, perhaps a bit of good news:

"After Rotatone is installed, neither the microphone nor the receiver requires shunting during dialling. In fact, a shunt would be undesirable because Rotatone reproduces a faint clicking during dialling that mimics the sound a conventional loop disconnect phone makes during dialling."

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 85 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024