web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
mphil Offline OP
OP Offline
Who can tell me about practical heat tolerances for 1A2 systems, please? I have a 551A unit and would like to know if I can safely locate the KSU in my attic or garage. Although the garage is relatively cool, it gets hot up in the attic sometimes. But, the attic has a powered exhaust fan. I leave the thermostat at 95 degrees F so it doesn't pull too much power. Should I set the temperature lower? May a working 1A2 system be safely put in such places?

Comments? Witness?

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mark
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

95º F is a little hot. I would suggest a few degrees lower, or put it in the garage, just for peace of mind.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
An attic fan thermostat set at 95 degrees only means that this is the cut-in (on) temperature. I can assure you that an attic in the Atlanta area in July will never fall below this temperature until long after the sun sets, if at all.

The 551 relies upon mechanical components and technologies that were developed back in the days when customers did what the telephone company told them to do with regard to environmental/electrical specifications. I can't tell you how many telephone "rooms" I have encountered that were wired/designed to Bell standards for just a large key system.

On the other side of that coin, I've seen many if not most 551's installed in garage environments. Honestly, I've only seen this to be the norm by Bell companies North of the Mason-Dixon Line. From my experience, most homes in those areas are older and if modern enough, they were pre-wired with a six-pair loop that originated in the garage. Many, many 1A2 tricks could be pulled with a six-pair loop, so the KSU ended up there by default.

In a garage in the South, I'd be concerned with the humidity factor more than anything.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The 551 Shoebox is pretty durable BUT like Arthur & Ed said 95+ is a little too hot.

I checked the BSP (SECTION 518-215-407 Issue 2, June 1981) and there was no mention of environmental conditions there, but somewhere there's probably a Generic environmental spec for all Key Systems. If I get a chance I'll look for it.

But I assure you that 95 deg. is going to be out of spec.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
mphil Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, guys. All good points. I've learned so much reading through the board and have put it to practical use, sort of.

Where shall we put the unit, then?

How about cold tolerances? The garage looks like a better choice but the garage will be in sub freezing temperatures for days at a time in the winter.

There's a closet in the garage. What if I put the KSU in the closet with the gas water heater? There's plenty of room and it will stay warmer in the winter. Would there by any realistic safety concerns (the obvious being gas/sparks, water/electricity) in the same closet?

I'm half finished wiring my backboard. The system works but it doesn't look like the nice photos you guys have posted. smile

Mark
Mark, my first thought is that I'd go with the garage closet. I'm not sure if local codes would preclude this (especially if the closet was put there for the sole use of the water heater). You might want to double-check that.

Frankly, electronics like cold temperatures a lot more than warm ones, so I'd say that placing it in the garage toward the back (closed) end would be best. That way you would avoid the temperature extremes and not risk the gas issue. Since the relays and interrupter contacts do make tiny sparks when operated, I'd stay away from any possibility of risk if there was a gas leak in an enclosed environment.

Feel free to post pics of your backboard if you'd like a professional and unbiased opinions or suggestions. We are here to help, not to insult.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024