Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#487625 01/04/11 06:58 PM
OP Offline
Here is my current 1A2 project. So far, I have the KSU mounted onto a painted (Weco Grey, er, at least I hope it aproximates Weco Grey)plywood board. It contains two WE 400D KTU cards, a 28A1 power unit, and mechanical flasher.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

I intend to use a WE 415A line tie card to tie this to a second as yet acquired system in this unit as well as a MOH card (eventually).

I have two CO line inputs at the very bottom that connect with two 42A blocks. As you can see, the covers are brown, though I would prefer grey.

To the side of the unit, I have a 60 block, properly mounted (I hope), but have not connected it to the KSU yet.

I also have the proper WE ring generator for this unit (I think I bought it from Sam), but not the proper mounting bracket. I might mount it with velcro until I can find the right metal bracket for this.

Now my questions. First of all, the cross connect wire that I have is basic blue/white. I intend to connect the KSU to the block that is now on the board, then connect that to type 60 blocks with the amphenol connectors on it to connect to my phones. Should I use different wire colors for connecting the KSU to the first block? Or would it be proper (Weco proper, that is) to use just blue and white wire?

Ulitmately, I will also have a Melkor unit on this as well for intercom use.

This is the 645HL phone that I cleaned up. It came from Kirtland AFB, and was oxidized to a nice shade of brown. I was able to bring the moss green back with very fine waterproof sandpaper and then the plastic polish kit. As you can see, the only thing that I could not properly clean is the dial face. I was afraid that I would destroy the numbers if I did the same thing to it. Any suggestions?

Well, that is if for now. I hope to have an update in a few days.

All the best

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#487626 01/05/11 01:42 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

Good luck with your project. It looks like you're well on your way to having a lot of fun.

You should use 3 pair cross connect for the output cross connects and use the single pair for the inputs, the intercom buzzers, ringers, etc.

Blue/white is good in my book. Though some purists may insist on blue/yellow. When I went to work for GTE they used Orange/white for single pair.

I do believe that Ed Vaughn once had a post where he listed every color cross connect with it's appropriate use; try searching for it.

Definitely do NOT use single pair for everything - it makes troubleshooting difficult.

You can test your 415 cards to make sure they work by putting them in positions 3&4 of the ksu and wiring them together. When you go off hook on one the other should ring, and vice versa. It would be a shame to buy a 2nd ksu only to find you've got a bad 415 card.

Good luck and come back anytime with questions.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#487627 01/05/11 04:07 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Joe, somewhere on this site is a link to information about a mixture of oxi-clean and hydrogen peroxide used to remove color change oxidation from plastic parts. Apparently works pretty well, even some here have tried it. HOWEVER, quite likely, it will remove the numbers as well as the oxidation. You're on your own as to whether or not to try it. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#487628 01/05/11 08:46 AM
It looks like a good start. Like Sam said, 3 pair cross connect wire for the keysets. wh/bl, wh/or, wh/gn pairs.
I especially like the color of the phone. Fits my last name laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487629 01/05/11 10:40 AM
Taking your points in no particular order:

Congratulations on your decision to play with REAL telephones. I have been working with these for over 45 years, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The Blocks are called 66M-50. 66 style, M as in Mini, 50 as in the number of pairs provided. (25 each side)

The phone is a 564 or 565. The first 5 refers to the 500-family, the 6 refers to 6 keys, and the last number is a 4 if it has no speakerphone leads, and a 5 if it does.

The Bell System designed things to last forever. The numbers and letters on the 7, 8 and 9-type rotary dials (as well as the numbers and letters on 25 and 35 type TT dials) go all the way through, using an injection method. You can sand away and you will never wear them off. Look at the back of the dial plate and you will see confirmation of this.

You need 3-pair for interconnecting the KSU block (the one you have mounted) and the other 66 blocks that feed the phones. We also need to talk to you about bridging clips and the "home-run" concept.

Use 3-pair for all CO, ICM, and tie line appearances on key telephones. Any unused conductors are traditionally wrapped around the ends, like the whipping on a rope end, so that in the event that they are needed in the future, you won't need to re-run the cross-connection. Please call me and I will explain in detail. It's too much to type, and I occasionally get hate mail through this Forum when I get too wordy in my explanations.

Generally, the only thing we use the 1-pair for is CO feeds. There are some exceptions.

To interconnect the KSU to the first block, you need a short piece of 25-pair cable. It will essentially mimic the block connections inside the KSU. It comes out the bottom mouse hole of the KSU and runs horizontally over to the bottom of the 66 block, then it fans out along the left column of pins on the block, in the traditional color code. Inside the KSU it picks up the first 12 pairs for the 4 CO line appearances, and the yellows or violets are used to send power (A, B, Buzzer, Lamp, Ground) to the block for interconnection to the intercom unit.

A "Melco" or "Teltone" intercom unit gets its own 66M-50 block, and cross-connections are made from it to the appropriate pins on the station 66 blocks.

The metal bracket that holds the generator supply in the KSU is made of unobtainium. I use a long tie-wrap and fasten it around the interrupter. (That's the correct word for the mechanical motor-driven device that gives you the cadences for ringing and lamps.)

You can reach me anytime at 631- 749 - 0100 or toll-free 866 - 749 - 0100.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#487630 01/05/11 11:37 AM
Rule #1 of 1A2...Talk to Arthur Bloom!
I found some 42A blocks with gray covers but they are marked up with sharpie/labels from over the years. If you want them, I will be happy to send them your way.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487631 01/05/11 04:46 PM
And I have some cleaner pads that work wonders on ink & labels. pm me or give me an address to send you some.

#487632 01/06/11 07:22 AM
Jim...what are they called? sounds intriguing!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487633 01/06/11 08:11 AM
OP Offline
I just want to thank everybody for their kind help and suggestions. I have taken a lot of notes so that I will wire this correctly. I will be using this in the metal out building (heated, cooled, concrete floor, insulated) at our new residence. I collect old teletypes, and this will be my teletype/radio/phone/rtty shop. The better half will be pleased that there will not be a teletype hammering away next to the dryer at two in the morning. :-) Eventually, I would like to set up another small KSU in the house, and tie the two of them together with 415 cards.

I started this project late last year (2009), and had to stop as I spent a year serving on the advisement board for the department of elementary and secondary ESL instruction in my state, which along with teaching undergrads took up every waking moment of my life. Never again.

Now I am semi-retired (I can never really stop working, I would go bonkers) so now I can play with my toys, grow pecan trees and enjoy the wife and grandkids.

Thanks again!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#487634 01/06/11 11:18 AM
Joe, if you happen to be a member of Green Keys, you will find a good friend of mine, Larry Tighe ("Larry Radio") who is also a 1A2 enthusiast.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,317 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 111 guests, and 376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024