Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Joe, everything appeared to be soldered but I didn't explore it too much on the back side.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

As I recall, everything was either soldered or wirewrapped.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Wow, the craftsmanship of that thing is amazing. I doubt that even if someone was willing to pay what something like that would be worth, that it could not be done anymore (outside of collectors and enthusiasts, of course).

I wish that we as a nation/society could manufacture things of that nature again.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Any of you that remember the USS New Jersey that blew a Turret up in the '80's(?)? You know why they replaced the turret with a missile emplacement? The U.S. can no longer make the Ring Gear that allowed the turret to turn! The old one was damaged beyond repair. It was poured as 1 piece of Steel and then final-machined on some sort of lathe. I've never seen a Missouri-Class battleship up close, but I'd guess that turret is bigger than a small house. Making that gear 40(?) feet in diameter! Heck, the place they made those ring gears is a housing development now, I'm told.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:
Wow, the craftsmanship of that thing is amazing. I doubt that even if someone was willing to pay what something like that would be worth, that it could not be done anymore (outside of collectors and enthusiasts, of course).

I wish that we as a nation/society could manufacture things of that nature again.

Joe
Joe -

When I worked Transmission (during the dot-comm era) every T-3 Mux had to be wirewrapped. That's two 28 pair 22 AWG cables. We did nice work with it, if I do say so myself.

As far as soldering - that's one of the classes I teach at the IBEW apprentice school - because no one knows how to do it anymore. It's just a damn shame.

As far as the loss of manufacturing.....Don't get me started. I'm sick over it. I had hoped that maybe the earthquakes in China and the tsunamis in Japan might convince some our corporations to move some of the manufacturing back home, but apparently not.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
That system must consume quite a bit of electricity. Did the owner work for the Bell System :confused:

I Love FEATURE 00
More to the point, did he/she work for the serving power company!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
They use very little power when idle, unlike modern systems, which are always "on."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Exactly, Arthur. This machine was powered by a fairly small power supply that was similar to one that would power a typical 1A2 system. When idle, as in no calls in progress, there really isn't any power consumption to speak of with such system architecture.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally posted by Silversam:
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:
[b] Wow, the craftsmanship of that thing is amazing. I doubt that even if someone was willing to pay what something like that would be worth, that it could not be done anymore (outside of collectors and enthusiasts, of course).

Joe
Joe -

As far as soldering - that's one of the classes I teach at the IBEW apprentice school - because no one knows how to do it anymore. It's just a damn shame.

Sam [/b]
Hi Sam

Soldering is one thing that I can do really well. When I was a kid, I cut my teeth on heathkit, then when I was in my 30's, I hand built AM bcb receivers with point to point soldered connections, using NOS IF coils and vacuum tubes. When the IF coils became unobtainable, I spent way too much money on an old NOS coil winder by some cash register company (forget the name), had to improve it by having a machinist install bearings and make me a truly straight winding shaft, and made hand wound IF coils on lucite dowel stock. I lost interest when I could no longer buy the nitrocellulose lacqure candyapple paint for the chassis, and the tubes became a small investment unto themselves. (I used "G" style tubes.)

Now as far as wirewrapping, I am terrible at that. I have had nobody to teach me the correct methods of making a decent wire wrap connection.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,782
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,762 Shoretel
188,962 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 74 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024